[Nut-upsdev] Problems with nut on new openSuSE 11.1 (same ecstasy_ups)

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Sat Dec 20 11:03:43 UTC 2008

Citeren "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com>:

> First the logs from the install do show a weird "account already
> exists" error:
>
> Dec 20 03:06:00 arete useradd[6471]: new account added -
> account=upsd, uid=119,
> gid=2, home=/sbin, shell=/bin/false, by=0
> Dec 20 03:06:00 arete useradd[6471]: running USERADD_CMD command -
> script=/usr/sbin/useradd.local, account=upsd, uid=119, gid=2,
> home=/sbin, by=0
> Dec 20 03:06:09 arete useradd[6497]: account already exists -
> account=upsd, by=0

This is normal. The installation script in the RPMs will create this
user unconditionally. If it already exists, you'll see this (harmless)
message.

[...]

> I don't know if UID is the problem or not, but just as with 11.0, the ups is
> recognized by the system on (Bus 001/Device 005):
>
> [03:51 arete/etc/ups] # lsusb
> Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0764:0501 Cyber Power System, Inc. CP1500 AVR UPS

OK, that seems to work.

> Attempting to start nut with rcupsd just resulted in a "Failed" message so I
> tried to get output from a couple of the methods you had given me:
>
> [03:32 arete/etc/ups] # /usr/lib/ups/driver/usbhid-ups -DD -a ecstasy_ups
> Network UPS Tools: 0.29 USB communication driver - core 0.33 (2.2.2)
> <snip>
>
> Checking device (0764/0501) (001/005)
> - VendorID: 0764
> - ProductID: 0501
> - Manufacturer: unknown
> - Product: unknown
> - Serial Number: unknown
> - Bus: 001
> Trying to match device
> Device matches
> failed to claim USB device, trying 2 more time(s)...
> detaching kernel driver from USB device...
> failed to detach kernel driver from USB device...
> trying again to claim USB device...
> failed to claim USB device, trying 1 more time(s)...
> detaching kernel driver from USB device...
> failed to detach kernel driver from USB device...
> trying again to claim USB device...
> failed to claim USB device, trying 0 more time(s)...
> detaching kernel driver from USB device...
> failed to detach kernel driver from USB device...
> trying again to claim USB device...
> Unable to get HID descriptor (error sending control message: Operation not
> permitted)

This is bad. This means that NUT is shipped with broken permissions,
most likely because something changed with udev. I'll install openSUSE
later today and let you know if this is something you can fix easily
yourself.

Please keep list traffic on the list