[Nut-upsdev] bcmxcp patch

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 09:45:13 UTC 2008

Hi Michael,

I've forwarded your patch to Kjell, who's maintaining the bcmxcp
driver, and to the nut development list.

Kjell and others have more knowledges of the xcp protocol and will be
able to analyze your patch.

2008/1/4, michalwd1979 <michalwd1979 at o2.pl>:
> Hello Arnaud,
> I am sending You a small patch to bcmxcp.c and bcmxcp.h files from nut-2.2.0. I written this because bcmxcp lacks some features that I wanted to have, and it was quite straight forward anyway. The changes are:
> 1) I changed shutdown.stayoff instant command to shut down after user-defined delay, just like shutdown.return. Small problem is with delay time: XCP defines this delay time in minutes not in seconds like for "return". The driver converts "shutdowndelay" option to minutes, everything below 120sec means 1 minute.
> 2) I added load.on, load.off instant commands. They works as expected
> 3) I added test.panel.start command. In XCP this is SYS_TEST but it test front panel on my ups as well
> 4) I added shutdowntype config option. The idea is taken from apcsmart.c, 0 (default) means shutdown and return, 1 means shutdown and stay off. The delay is defined in shutdowndelay just like for shutdown.return and shutdown.stayoff commands.
>
> The patch should be applied from main directory with -p1 option. I hope that you find it useful. I tested this with HP/Compaq R3000 XR Euro ups (3kW, 230V) with serial connection. Works right without any problems.
>
> Oh, I almost forgot: The serial cable for this UPS is standard 9 pins male (ups side) to 9 pins female (computer side) straight cable. Nice that it uses typical pinouts. Pins 2 and 6 are connected inside ups. On pin 9 ups outputs +8-12V DC voltage, I did not connected this pin. I don't know if the ups can be used in "dumb" mode, but if smart works then who cares?
>
> Best Regards,
> Michael Widlok
>
> PS let me know if You will apply the patch or drop it, I just want to know.

thanks for your contribution,
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - MGE Office Protection Systems - http://www.mgeops.com