[Nut-upsdev] INFOSEC 500 XP usb support

André Auzi aauzi at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jan 7 23:15:15 UTC 2008

Hi everybody,

In a christmas sequel I've been offered one of the units mentioned above.

I've tried to connect it to my Fedora 8 workstation but rapidly
concluded it's not yet supported by NUT.

So far, I've decompiled the Java classes of the manufacturer's
application and noticed that it's most probably yet another kind of
serial protocol through the USB.

Since previous models of the same manufacturer were supported with the
megatec driver through a serial line I supposed the megatec_usb driver
would do the trick, so far it does not.

Anyway, the thing is that I also own a machine with Windows and will
probably engage the sniffing process.

Since it's my first attempt on the dark side of the USB some advices
will be welcome:

- I plan to use http://sourceforge.net/projects/usbsnoop/ is this a tool
you would recommend? if not what else?
- another information that would probably help me is an example of data
already collected with comments, is there anybody in the list who would
share such information?

Many thanks in advance,
Andre

PS: Here is the result of the command: megatec_usb -DDDDDD  -x
vendorid=0665 -a INFOSEC

----------------------------------< begin
 >------------------------------------
debug level is '6'
Checking device (0000/0000) (001/001)
- VendorID: 0000
- ProductID: 0000
- Manufacturer: unknown
- Product: unknown
- Serial Number: unknown
- Bus: 001
Trying to match device
Device does not match - skipping
Checking device (0665/5161) (002/009)
- VendorID: 0665
- ProductID: 5161
- Manufacturer: unknown
- Product: unknown
- Serial Number: unknown
- Bus: 002
Trying to match device
Device matches
failed to claim USB device, trying 2 more time(s)...
detaching kernel driver from USB device...
failed to detach kernel driver from USB device...
trying again to claim USB device...
failed to claim USB device, trying 1 more time(s)...
detaching kernel driver from USB device...
failed to detach kernel driver from USB device...
trying again to claim USB device...
failed to claim USB device, trying 0 more time(s)...
detaching kernel driver from USB device...
failed to detach kernel driver from USB device...
trying again to claim USB device...
none (-1)
Starting UPS detection process...
Attempting to detect the UPS...
Sending "Q1" command...
none (-1)
Wrong answer to "Q1" command.
Attempting to detect the UPS...
Sending "Q1" command...
none (-1)
Wrong answer to "Q1" command.
Attempting to detect the UPS...
Sending "Q1" command...
none (-1)
Wrong answer to "Q1" command.
Attempting to detect the UPS...
Sending "Q1" command...
none (-1)
Wrong answer to "Q1" command.
Attempting to detect the UPS...
Sending "Q1" command...
none (-1)
Wrong answer to "Q1" command.
5 out of 5 detection attempts failed (minimum failures: 2).
Megatec protocol UPS not detected.
Network UPS Tools 2.2.0- - Megatec protocol driver 1.5.4 [megatec_usb]
Carlos Rodrigues (c) 2003-2007

Serial-over-USB transport layer for Megatec protocol driver [megatec_usb]
-----------------------------------< end
 >-------------------------------------

end the: lsusb -v (for completeness)

----------------------------------< begin
 >------------------------------------
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 Device Descriptor:
 bLength                18
 bDescriptorType         1
 bcdUSB               2.00
 bDeviceClass            9 Hub
 bDeviceSubClass         0 Unused
 bDeviceProtocol         1 Single TT
 bMaxPacketSize0        64
 idVendor           0x0000
 idProduct          0x0000
 bcdDevice            2.06
 iManufacturer           3 Linux 2.6.23.9-85.fc8 ehci_hcd
 iProduct                2 EHCI Host Controller
 iSerial                 1 0000:00:0b.1
 bNumConfigurations      1
 Configuration Descriptor:
   bLength                 9
   bDescriptorType         2
   wTotalLength           25
   bNumInterfaces          1
   bConfigurationValue     1
   iConfiguration          0
   bmAttributes         0xe0
     Self Powered
     Remote Wakeup
   MaxPower                0mA
   Interface Descriptor:
     bLength                 9
     bDescriptorType         4
     bInterfaceNumber        0
     bAlternateSetting       0
     bNumEndpoints           1
     bInterfaceClass         9 Hub
     bInterfaceSubClass      0 Unused
     bInterfaceProtocol      0 Full speed (or root) hub
     iInterface              0
     Endpoint Descriptor:
       bLength                 7
       bDescriptorType         5
       bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
       bmAttributes            3
         Transfer Type            Interrupt
         Synch Type               None
         Usage Type               Data
       wMaxPacketSize     0x0004  1x 4 bytes
       bInterval              12
Hub Descriptor:
 bLength              11
 bDescriptorType      41
 nNbrPorts             8
 wHubCharacteristic 0x000a
   No power switching (usb 1.0)
   Per-port overcurrent protection
   TT think time 8 FS bits
 bPwrOn2PwrGood       10 * 2 milli seconds
 bHubContrCurrent      0 milli Ampere
 DeviceRemovable    0x00 0x60
 PortPwrCtrlMask    0x17  0x15
Hub Port Status:
  Port 1: 0000.0100 power
  Port 2: 0000.0100 power
  Port 3: 0000.0100 power
  Port 4: 0000.0100 power
  Port 5: 0000.0100 power
  Port 6: 0000.0100 power
  Port 7: 0000.0100 power
  Port 8: 0000.0100 power

Bus 002 Device 009: ID 0665:5161 Device Descriptor:
 bLength                18
 bDescriptorType         1
 bcdUSB               1.10
 bDeviceSubClass         0
 bDeviceProtocol         0
 bMaxPacketSize0         8
 idVendor           0x0665
 idProduct          0x5161
 bcdDevice            0.01
 iManufacturer           1 Cypress Semiconductor
 iProduct                2 USB to Serial
 iSerial                 0
 bNumConfigurations      1
 Configuration Descriptor:
   bLength                 9
   bDescriptorType         2
   wTotalLength           34
   bNumInterfaces          1
   bConfigurationValue     1
   iConfiguration          3
   bmAttributes         0x80
   MaxPower              100mA
   Interface Descriptor:
     bLength                 9
     bDescriptorType         4
     bInterfaceNumber        0
     bAlternateSetting       0
     bNumEndpoints           1
     bInterfaceClass         3 Human Interface Devices
     bInterfaceSubClass      0 No Subclass
     bInterfaceProtocol      0 None
     iInterface              4 Sample HID
       HID Device Descriptor:
         bLength                 9
         bDescriptorType        33
         bcdHID               1.00
         bCountryCode            0 Not supported
         bNumDescriptors         1
         bDescriptorType        34 Report
         wDescriptorLength      35
         Report Descriptor: (length is 35)
           Item(Global): Usage Page, data= [ 0x01 ] 1
                           Generic Desktop Controls
           Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x05 ] 5
                           Gamepad
           Item(Main  ): Collection, data= [ 0x01 ] 1
                           Application
           Item(Global): Usage Page, data= [ 0x09 ] 9
                           Buttons
           Item(Local ): Usage Minimum, data= [ 0x01 ] 1
                           Button 1 (Primary)
           Item(Local ): Usage Maximum, data= [ 0x40 ] 64
                           (null)
           Item(Global): Logical Minimum, data= [ 0x00 ] 0
           Item(Global): Logical Maximum, data= [ 0x01 ] 1
           Item(Global): Report Size, data= [ 0x01 ] 1
           Item(Global): Report Count, data= [ 0x40 ] 64
           Item(Main  ): Input, data= [ 0x02 ] 2
                           Data Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                           Preferred_State No_Null_Position Non_Volatile
Bitfield
           Item(Global): Usage Page, data= [ 0x08 ] 8
                           LEDs
           Item(Local ): Usage Minimum, data= [ 0x01 ] 1
                           NumLock
           Item(Local ): Usage Maximum, data= [ 0x40 ] 64
                           Indicator Fast Blink
           Item(Global): Report Size, data= [ 0x01 ] 1
           Item(Global): Report Count, data= [ 0x40 ] 64
           Item(Main  ): Output, data= [ 0x02 ] 2
                           Data Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                           Preferred_State No_Null_Position Non_Volatile
Bitfield
           Item(Main  ): End Collection, data=none
     Endpoint Descriptor:
       bLength                 7
       bDescriptorType         5
       bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
       bmAttributes            3
         Transfer Type            Interrupt
         Synch Type               None
         Usage Type               Data
       wMaxPacketSize     0x0008  1x 8 bytes
       bInterval              32

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 Device Descriptor:
 bLength                18
 bDescriptorType         1
 bcdUSB               1.10
 bDeviceClass            9 Hub
 bDeviceSubClass         0 Unused
 bDeviceProtocol         0 Full speed (or root) hub
 bMaxPacketSize0        64
 idVendor           0x0000
 idProduct          0x0000
 bcdDevice            2.06
 iManufacturer           3 Linux 2.6.23.9-85.fc8 ohci_hcd
 iProduct                2 OHCI Host Controller
 iSerial                 1 0000:00:0b.0
[...]
       wMaxPacketSize     0x0002  1x 2 bytes
       bInterval             255
Hub Descriptor:
 bLength              11
 bDescriptorType      41
 nNbrPorts             8
 wHubCharacteristic 0x0002
   No power switching (usb 1.0)
   Ganged overcurrent protection
 bPwrOn2PwrGood        1 * 2 milli seconds
 bHubContrCurrent      0 milli Ampere
 DeviceRemovable    0x00 0x60
 PortPwrCtrlMask    0x17  0x15
Hub Port Status:
  Port 1: 0000.0303 lowspeed power enable connect
  Port 2: 0000.0100 power
  Port 3: 0000.0100 power
  Port 4: 0000.0100 power
  Port 5: 0000.0100 power