[Nut-upsdev] INFOSEC 500 XP usb support

Alexander I. Gordeev lasaine at lvk.cs.msu.su
Tue Jan 8 00:11:43 UTC 2008

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 02:15:15 +0300, André Auzi
<aauzi at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> In a christmas sequel I've been offered one of the units mentioned above.
>
> I've tried to connect it to my Fedora 8 workstation but rapidly
> concluded it's not yet supported by NUT.
>
> So far, I've decompiled the Java classes of the manufacturer's
> application and noticed that it's most probably yet another kind of
> serial protocol through the USB.
>
> Since previous models of the same manufacturer were supported with the
> megatec driver through a serial line I supposed the megatec_usb driver
> would do the trick, so far it does not.
>
> Anyway, the thing is that I also own a machine with Windows and will
> probably engage the sniffing process.
>
> Since it's my first attempt on the dark side of the USB some advices
> will be welcome:
>
> - I plan to use http://sourceforge.net/projects/usbsnoop/ is this a tool
> you would recommend? if not what else?
> - another information that would probably help me is an example of data
> already collected with comments, is there anybody in the list who would
> share such information?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Andre

This device should be already supported by megatec_usb driver.
Which version of nut do you use?
Anyway if you experience problems with agiler subdriver (which is used by
default with your device for some time) please try 'phoenix' subdriver from
the latest trunk. This subdriver is missing in v2.2.1.

But first you need to shoot-out permission problems (see below).

> PS: Here is the result of the command: megatec_usb -DDDDDD  -x
> vendorid=0665 -a INFOSEC
>
> ----------------------------------< begin
>  >------------------------------------
> debug level is '6'
> Checking device (0000/0000) (001/001)
> - VendorID: 0000
> - ProductID: 0000
> - Manufacturer: unknown
> - Product: unknown
> - Serial Number: unknown
> - Bus: 001
> Trying to match device
> Device does not match - skipping
> Checking device (0665/5161) (002/009)
> - VendorID: 0665
> - ProductID: 5161
> - Manufacturer: unknown
> - Product: unknown
> - Serial Number: unknown
> - Bus: 002
> Trying to match device
> Device matches
> failed to claim USB device, trying 2 more time(s)...
> detaching kernel driver from USB device...
> failed to detach kernel driver from USB device...
> trying again to claim USB device...
> failed to claim USB device, trying 1 more time(s)...
> detaching kernel driver from USB device...
> failed to detach kernel driver from USB device...
> trying again to claim USB device...
> failed to claim USB device, trying 0 more time(s)...
> detaching kernel driver from USB device...
> failed to detach kernel driver from USB device...
> trying again to claim USB device...
> none (-1)

This most likely means that you have permission problems. The simple way
to bypass them is running with the additional option '-u root' under root.
By default if driver is started by root it lowers its privilegies by
changing user and group to 'nut:nut' (this is configurable).
The better way is to properly setup udev rules, shipped with nut.

--
   Alexander