[Nut-upsdev] REGRESSION: New "megatec" driver does't work for UPS that was managed by old fentonups driver

Michel Bouissou michel-nut at bouissou.net
Wed May 21 06:47:09 UTC 2008

Le mardi 20 mai 2008, Arjen de Korte a écrit :

> No, you don't get the point.
> Like I explained, what you're doing now (or with any other scheme that is
> based on battery voltage alone) may seem to work now, but may (will) fail
> horribly [...]
> In NUT we have 'upssched' for situations where the grace period after ...

Okay, now I get the point. Your best avice is that, as battery voltage does
not always relate closely enough to battery charge per your opinion, I would
have better use an external timer/scheduler that does not relate AT ALL to
battery charge.

Of course this method is simpler because it needs to use another external
program, and it will surely never "fail horribly".

Sounds logical :-}

I don't want to transform this into a long argument - I know how things can
easily turn on developpers mailing lists ;-) but for some reason this reminds
me of a joke we have in France about politicians :

« Tell me what you need and I'll tell you how you can do without it. »

Okay.

For now, I have found the "perfect solution" for me, which was to revert back
to Ubuntu Gutsy's nut 2.0.5 package with the good old "fentonups" driver that
has all I need - because I had put it in myself some years back.

I think that my best option from now on will be to start maintaining the
fentonups driver myself and make it compatible with the latest nut package
(if it isn't), and then build my own 2.2 package with "fentonups included",
at least as long as I keep my old dumb UPS. This way I won't have to bother
maintainers asking them to add code that they don't want to add to "new"
drivers that are better because they have less features ;-)

Best regards.

--
Michel Bouissou <michel at bouissou.net> OpenPGP ID 0xEB04D09C

« L'homme doit s'applaudir d'être frivole, s'il ne l'était pas, il
sécherait de douleur en pensant qu'il est né pour un jour entre deux
éternités, et pour souffrir onze heures au moins sur douze. »
	-- Voltaire