[Nut-upsdev] REGRESSION: New "megatec" driver does't work for UPS that was managed by old fentonups driver

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Wed May 21 07:30:49 UTC 2008

> Okay, now I get the point. Your best avice is that, as battery voltage
> does
> not always relate closely enough to battery charge per your opinion, I
> would
> have better use an external timer/scheduler that does not relate AT ALL to
> battery charge.

Indeed.

> Of course this method is simpler because it needs to use another external
> program, and it will surely never "fail horribly".

Everything can fail but looking at your reply, you didn't dig too deeply
into upssched at all and why this is a better solution. But so far, the
'upssched' scheduler has proven to be far reliable than the relation
between battery voltage and charge of most (if not all) UPS devices.

> I don't want to transform this into a long argument - I know how things
> can
> easily turn on developpers mailing lists ;-) but for some reason this
> reminds
> me of a joke we have in France about politicians :
>
> « Tell me what you need and I'll tell you how you can do without it. »
>
> Okay.
>
> For now, I have found the "perfect solution" for me, which was to revert
> back
> to Ubuntu Gutsy's nut 2.0.5 package with the good old "fentonups" driver
> that
> has all I need - because I had put it in myself some years back.

If you want to keep maintaining this driver yourself, feel free to do so.
I doubt however that this will make it into mainstream NUT for reasons
mentioned on this list before.