[Nut-upsdev] Testing NUT

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 14:37:49 UTC 2008

[reviving an old thread... once more]

2007/8/22 Gabor Szabo <szabgab at gmail.com>:
> Hi,

Hi Gabor,

seems I've missed this thread last year.
sorry about that :-(

> I am working on several articles on how Automated testing is employed in
> various Open Source projects.
> http://www.szabgab.com/blog/2007/07/1183825266.html

I've also come across the below link:
http://www.szabgab.com/blog/2007/08/1187763134.html

> I gut to NUT as I saw you are using BuildBot to build the application and
> NUT seemed to be interesting to write about.
>
> So I found the BuildBot page http://buildbot.ghz.cc/public/nut/
> but from the reports it seems to me that there is no "make test" phase.
> The reports seem to end after the compilation phase.
> (ok, actually a copied tarball follows but i guess it should just copy
> the result back)
>
> So how I would be glad if you pointed me to some documentation on how do
> you test NUT?

As Charles stated, we have only 1 path to automate NUT testing:
upsd <-> upsmon / clients (upsc)

I've extended this up to the driver layer by using the dummy-ups
driver, which can be manipulated at will, and applied this in the
Ubuntu testing framework:
https://code.edge.launchpad.net/qa-regression-testing

I would be happy to talk more with you about the NQA (NUT Quality
Assurance) and possibly enroll you if you're interested in.

The biggest show stopper there is the ability to emulate devices
(serial, USB, network (though these last should be easier), ...).

cheers,
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - MGE Office Protection Systems - http://www.mgeops.com