[Nut-upsdev] Testing NUT

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Mon Nov 3 19:26:19 UTC 2008

Citeren Arnaud Quette <aquette.dev at gmail.com>:

> The biggest show stopper there is the ability to emulate devices
> (serial, USB, network (though these last should be easier), ...).

I doubt that emulating devices is worth the effort. For many we don't
have access to the protocol and timing anyway, so this would basically
be a reversed driver. Since invariably this would have to be made by
the same person as the driver, you risk missing vital parts/timing
requirements in the protocol.

I'm in favor of more testing before releasing things, but when it
comes to the drivers, this would have to be done with actual hardware
to be worth the effort. The majority of regressions we see is in the
drivers, not the server or clients.

Please keep list traffic on the list