[Nut-upsdev] Battery Volts shown as 20+ on Cyber Power UPS CP1000AVRLCD

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Thu Nov 27 09:17:19 UTC 2008

Citeren "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com>:

[...]

> You can count on me to do whatever dirty work you need done. Just give me my
> marching orders and I'll promptly provide what ever additional
> information you
> need.

Well, what I need is to correlate the actual battery voltage (as
measured through a measurement instrument) to what the UPS itself
reports. A minimum of two measurements is needed, with as much
difference in battery voltage that is practical between them. Usually,
a measurement with fully charged and (almost) fully discharged
batteries will give me what I want. The dirty part here, is that
you'll need to open the case of your UPS in order to get to the
battery terminals. You'll also need something to measure voltage with.
For the latter, a digital voltmeter would be required (a hand held
multimeter is probably the most practical). Please do note that
charged lead acid batteries are hazardous. Accidentally shorting out
the terminals will cause severe personal injury, so if you don't know
what you're doing, don't make any attempts here.

> First, as requested, lsusb and lsusb -v (just in case):
>
> 16:37 nirvana~> lsusb
> Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0764:0501 Cyber Power System, Inc.
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

I was just interested in the VID:PID combination here. Thanks.

[...]

> Now, I need your help. How do I give you "'usbhid-ups' driver running with
> debug level 2 (not higher)"? Just let me know and I'll send it immediately.
> Currently in my ups.conf file I have:
>
> [nirvana_ups]
>         driver = usbhid-ups explore vendor="CPS"
>         desc = "Nirvana UPS - Cyberpower 1000"
>         port = /dev/hiddev0
>
> Do I need to add the extra parameters here? If so what?

First you need to kill any existing instances of the 'usbhid-ups'
driver. Then fire it up as follows:

     <path/to>/usbhid-ups -DD -a nirvana_ups

This will run in the foreground until you stop it with ctrl-c or after
sending it a SIGKILL signal. We're interested in the first 30 seconds
worth of output only, after that it will only repeat.

Please keep list traffic on the list