[Nut-upsdev] Battery Volts shown as 20+ on Cyber Power UPS CP1000AVRLCD

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Nov 27 10:52:41 UTC 2008

Arjen de Korte wrote:
> Citeren "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com>:
>
> [...]
>
>> You can count on me to do whatever dirty work you need done. Just give
>> me my
>> marching orders and I'll promptly provide what ever additional
>> information you
>> need.
>
> Well, what I need is to correlate the actual battery voltage (as
> measured through a measurement instrument) to what the UPS itself
> reports. A minimum of two measurements is needed, with as much
> difference in battery voltage that is practical between them. Usually, a
> measurement with fully charged and (almost) fully discharged batteries
> will give me what I want. The dirty part here, is that you'll need to
> open the case of your UPS in order to get to the battery terminals.
> You'll also need something to measure voltage with. For the latter, a
> digital voltmeter would be required (a hand held multimeter is probably
> the most practical). Please do note that charged lead acid batteries are
> hazardous. Accidentally shorting out the terminals will cause severe
> personal injury, so if you don't know what you're doing, don't make any
> attempts here.

No worries mate, I plug and switch hot, no need to shut off the breakers, just
takes more time... Just avoid me if I'm on a ladder. less I may reach down and
touch you on the shoulder with the kiss of Edison.....

	Seriously, I'm fine with it and have a great digital multimeter as well. At
least this time it will be a hell of a lot easier than measuring the pinout and
DTR, RTS and TD voltages for another little ups problem:

http://www.3111skyline.com/download/ups/rs232_aggie-pin-tester.jpg

	I didn't want to do the yard tomorrow anyway.... I'll see if I can get the
measurements to you after dinner along with the <path/to>/usbhid-ups -DD -a
nirvana_ups. Thanks for your help. I have really been meaning to chase this
issue down.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.      |          openSoftware und SystemEntwicklung
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC           |             Countdown for openSuSE 11.1