[Nut-upsdev] Battery Volts shown as 20+ on Cyber Power UPS CP1000AVRLCD

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Fri Nov 28 05:10:37 UTC 2008

Arjen de Korte wrote:
> Citeren "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com>:
>
> [...]
>
>> You can count on me to do whatever dirty work you need done. Just give
>> me my
>> marching orders and I'll promptly provide what ever additional
>> information you
>> need.
>
> Well, what I need is to correlate the actual battery voltage (as
> measured through a measurement instrument) to what the UPS itself
> reports. A minimum of two measurements is needed, with as much
> difference in battery voltage that is practical between them. Usually, a
> measurement with fully charged and (almost) fully discharged batteries
> will give me what I want. The dirty part here, is that you'll need to
> open the case of your UPS in order to get to the battery terminals.
> You'll also need something to measure voltage with. For the latter, a
> digital voltmeter would be required (a hand held multimeter is probably
> the most practical). Please do note that charged lead acid batteries are
> hazardous. Accidentally shorting out the terminals will cause severe
> personal injury, so if you don't know what you're doing, don't make any
> attempts here.
>
>> First, as requested, lsusb and lsusb -v (just in case):
>>
>> 16:37 nirvana~> lsusb
>> Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0764:0501 Cyber Power System, Inc.
>> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>
> I was just interested in the VID:PID combination here. Thanks.
>
> [...]
>
>> Now, I need your help. How do I give you "'usbhid-ups' driver running
>> with
>> debug level 2 (not higher)"? Just let me know and I'll send it
>> immediately.
>> Currently in my ups.conf file I have:
>>
>> [nirvana_ups]
>>         driver = usbhid-ups explore vendor="CPS"
>>         desc = "Nirvana UPS - Cyberpower 1000"
>>         port = /dev/hiddev0
>>
>> Do I need to add the extra parameters here? If so what?
>
> First you need to kill any existing instances of the 'usbhid-ups'
> driver. Then fire it up as follows:
>
>     <path/to>/usbhid-ups -DD -a nirvana_ups
>
> This will run in the foreground until you stop it with ctrl-c or after
> sending it a SIGKILL signal. We're interested in the first 30 seconds
> worth of output only, after that it will only repeat.
>
> Best regards, Arjen

Arjen,

	I have the usbhid-ups -DD -a nirvana_ups information. I have tried starting it
three different way, but from what I can tell, the output is the pretty much
same except for the order of 1-2 notifications in the first 15-25 lines or so.

	First, I tried stopping nut and then just running usbhid-ups -DD -a
nirvana_ups. I saw some errors "Can't find object UPS....." and so I thought I
might have done something wrong so I tried starting it with sudo -u upsd
usbhid-ups -DD -a nirvana_ups and that gave the same errors.

	Thinking through it (not wise when you aren't sure exactly what you are
thinking through), I decided it to start nut as normal, kill the running
instance of usbhid-ups and then start the new -DD instance with sudo -u upsd
usbhid-ups -DD -a nirvana_ups, and it looks like I still get the same output.

	All 3 results are included below in case it makes a difference to you on how
it was started. If I haven't done something right, let me know and I'll rerun
the test as soon as all this turkey and pumpkin pie wears off.. The voltages
will follow tomorrow. I guess to get the discharged voltage, I'll just pull the
plug and wait until there are about 4 minutes left. If that isn't right, let me
know:

	First Test:

[22:52 nirvana/srv/www/download/ups/CyberPower] #
/usr/lib/ups/driver/usbhid-ups -DD -a nirvana_ups
debug level is '2'
Checking device (0764/0501) (002/002)
- VendorID: 0764
- ProductID: 0501
- Manufacturer: CPS
- Product: UPS CP1000AVRLCD
- Serial Number: unknown
- Bus: 002
Trying to match device
Device matches
HID descriptor retrieved (Reportlen = 387)
Report descriptor retrieved (Reportlen = 387)
Found HID device
Report Descriptor size = 387
Network UPS Tools: 0.28 USB communication driver 0.28 - core 0.30 (2.2.0-)

Detected a UPS: CPS/UPS CP1000AVRLCD
Using subdriver: APC/CyberPower HID 0.9
Size: 16, Value: 88.000000
Can't find object UPS.Battery.ConfigVoltage
Can't find object UPS.Battery.Temperature
Can't find object UPS.Battery.ManufacturerDate
Can't find object UPS.PowerSummary.APCBattReplaceDate
Can't find object UPS.Battery.APCBattReplaceDate
Can't find object UPS.PowerSummary.DelayBeforeShutdown
Can't find object UPS.APCGeneralCollection.APCDelayBeforeShutdown
Can't find object UPS.Battery.Test
Can't find object UPS.ManufacturerDate
Can't find object UPS.PowerSummary.ManufacturerDate
Can't find object UPS.PowerSummary.PresentStatus.ShutdownImminent
Can't find object UPS.PowerSummary.PresentStatus.Overload
Can't find object UPS.PowerSummary.PresentStatus.NeedReplacement
Can't find object UPS.PowerSummary.PresentStatus.BatteryPresent
Can't find object UPS.PowerSummary.Charging
Can't find object UPS.PowerSummary.Discharging
Can't find object UPS.PowerSummary.ACPresent
Can't find object UPS.PowerSummary.BelowRemainingCapacityLimit
Can't find object UPS.PowerSummary.ShutdownImminent
Can't find object UPS.PowerSummary.APCStatusFlag
Can't find object UPS.Output.ConfigVoltage
Can't find object UPS.BatterySystem.Battery.Test
Can't find object UPS.BatterySystem.Battery.Test
Can't find object UPS.BatterySystem.Battery.Test
Can't find object UPS.APCPanelTest
Can't find object UPS.APCPanelTest
Can't find object UPS.PowerSummary.APCPanelTest
Can't find object UPS.PowerSummary.APCPanelTest
Can't find object UPS.PowerSummary.DelayBeforeShutdown
Can't find object UPS.APCGeneralCollection.APCDelayBeforeShutdown
Can't find object UPS.PowerSummary.DelayBeforeStartup
Can't find object UPS.APCGeneralCollection.APCForceShutdown
Can't find object UPS.APCGeneralCollection.APCDelayBeforeShutdown
Can't find object UPS.PowerSummary.DelayBeforeShutdown
upsdrv_updateinfo...
dstate_init: sock /var/lib/ups/usbhid-ups-nirvana_ups open on fd 5
upsdrv_updateinfo...
Waiting for notifications...

=>Got 7 HID Objects...
ups.status = online
ups.status = !chrg
ups.status = !dischrg
ups.status = !lowbatt
ups.status = fullycharged
ups.status = !timelimitexp
find_hid_info: unknown variable: UPS.PowerSummary.PresentStatus.00000000

upsdrv_updateinfo...
Waiting for notifications...

=>Got 3 HID Objects...
battery.charge = 100
battery.runtime = 2100
battery.runtime.low = 300
upsdrv_updateinfo...
Waiting for notifications...

=>Got 7 HID Objects...
ups.status = online
ups.status = !chrg
ups.status = !dischrg
ups.status = !lowbatt
ups.status = fullycharged
ups.status = !timelimitexp
find_hid_info: unknown variable: UPS.PowerSummary.PresentStatus.00000000

upsdrv_updateinfo...
Waiting for notifications...

=>Got 3 HID Objects...
battery.charge = 100
battery.runtime = 2100
battery.runtime.low = 300
Signal 2: exiting
Closing device

	Second Test:

[22:53 nirvana/srv/www/download/ups/CyberPower] # sudo -u upsd
[...]

	Third Test (nut running then usbhid-ups usbhid-ups killed and restarted):

[22:31 nirvana/srv/www/download/ups/CyberPower] # sudo -u upsd
/usr/lib/ups/driver/usbhid-ups -DD -a nirvana_ups | tee usbhid-ups_DD.output

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.      |          openSoftware und SystemEntwicklung
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC           |             Countdown for openSuSE 11.1