[Nut-upsdev] Powercom Imperial/Black Knight USB support for NUT

Sergiy Yegorov prapor at unixzone.org.ua
Thu Oct 23 09:12:00 UTC 2008

On thu, 23 oct 2008, Arjen de Korte wrote:

> Citeren Arnaud Quette <aquette.dev at gmail.com>:
>
> [...]
>
>> just to be sure, for other users: what is the name of the port you've
>> indicated in ups.conf (my guess is ttyUSB0 since the powercom driver
>> has no real USB support)?
Sure, it is /dev/ttyUSB0 via cypress_m8 kernel driver.
This is my ups.conf:
 [ups]
    driver = powercom
    port = /dev/ttyUSB0
    type = "USB"
    modelname = BNT-800AP

> If this is the case, what are the vendorid and productid that are
> reported for this device? The output of 'lsusb -v' should reveal this.
This code originaly was writen for Imperial series, but BNT also have
ProductId 0x0002, so I test it and found it`s workable.
This is lsusb -v output from my BNT-800AP:
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 0d9f:0002 Powercom Co., Ltd
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               1.00
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0         8
  idVendor           0x0d9f Powercom Co., Ltd
  idProduct          0x0002
  bcdDevice            0.00
  iManufacturer           1
  iProduct                2
  iSerial                 0
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           41
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          4
    bmAttributes         0x80
      (Bus Powered)
    MaxPower              100mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass         3 Human Interface Device
      bInterfaceSubClass      0 No Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol      0 None
      iInterface              0
        HID Device Descriptor:
          bLength                 9
          bDescriptorType        33
          bcdHID               1.00
          bCountryCode            0 Not supported
          bNumDescriptors         1
          bDescriptorType        34 Report
          wDescriptorLength      37
         Report Descriptors:
           ** UNAVAILABLE **
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            3
          Transfer Type            Interrupt
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0008  1x 8 bytes
        bInterval              10
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
        bmAttributes            3
          Transfer Type            Interrupt
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0008  1x 8 bytes
        bInterval              10
Device Status:     0x0000
  (Bus Powered)

bInterfaceClass is set to HID, but usbhid driver does not works (it`s
tested).

> Furthermore, I would prefer to see something else than 'USB' as the
> keyword here. Chances are that we will see additional Powercom like
> devices that are similarly equipped with a USB port. I don't think the
> settings for this device are generic enough to cover all variations
> there might be, so something more descriptive for the devices you tested
> it with (possibly by adding additional table entries) would be welcomed.
I never seen Powercom devices with USB and different settings. It looks
like they are too lazy for programming device for other ProductId.
But, with Powercom nobody can`t be sure completly.

--
With best regards
Sergey Yegorov