[Nut-upsdev] /sbin/upsdrvctl unable to shutdown UPS due to (unmounted) shared library

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 11:58:36 UTC 2009

On Aug 4, 2009, at 8:59 AM, Michal Hlavinka wrote:

> Hi,
>
> /sbin/upsdrvctl is used as the near final step in /etc/init.d/halt
> to command
> the UPS to shut down power to the computer.  On Fedora / Red Hat
> Enterprise
> Linux system, /usr can reside on its own partition.

Would it be possible to remount /usr read-only at shutdown?

> Drivers are linked to several libraries, but some of them lives in /
> usr/lib
> and this can be umounted when drivers are used. There are 16
> libraries used on
> Fedora 11 system. This prevents nut to properly shutdown ups.

I think all of the libraries used by the NUT drivers are in /lib on
Debian, but Arnaud can give you more details.

The 16 libraries might be an upper bound of what is actually being used:

https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=311810&group_id=30602&atid=411542

> How is this designed to work? Is it expected all drivers are linked
> statically? 16 libraries does not seem to me as unexpectedly placed to
> /usr/lib instead of /lib

Not sure I understand the "unexpectedly placed" part.