[Nut-upsdev] /sbin/upsdrvctl unable to shutdown UPS ... (Slackware 12.2 fix)

Christian Monkman c.b.monkman at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 07:20:33 UTC 2009

Alfred Ganz wrote:
> 	>Note1, since nut removes itself from the hid device, I presume that
> 	>this
> 	>	involves removal of any corresponding /dev entries (in any case
> 	>	I see none on my system, there are two entries for the UPS:
> 	>	/dev/usbdev2.2_ep00 and /dev/usbdev2.2_ep81).
>
> 	I was asking hypothetically, if the NUT code were changed to use /dev/
> 	hiddev* instead of /proc/bus/usb or /dev/bus/usb.
> Sorry, I don't really know how hid devices are handled. Also, there don't
> seem to be any udev rules for such devices.
>
> AG

I am coming in late to this conversation, but it seems similar to the
issue I have been struggling with for the past few hours on a Slackware
12.2 installation, so I am posting this in hopes that it helps anyone
else facing the same problem.

I am using NUT 2.4.1 on a USB connected CyberPower 685. I built it from
source using --with-usb and configured it to use a non-root user and
group. The driver, upsd, and upsmon all worked properly when run from
the rc.M startup scripts, and they had no trouble logging when I
disconnected and reconnected the line power.

The trouble was that during simulation of power failures that exceeded
the battery runtime using "upsmon -c fsd" (the system was plugged into a
*different* power source for this testing), the shutdown script would
take note of the /etc/killpower file, but the command to power off the
UPS would not get through.

During the Slackware rc.0 shutdown script, there is a point where it
uses "killall5" to send -15 and then -9 signals to all remaining
processes that don't have their own separate shutdown scripts (like
httpd and mysql). At this point the console starts spewing USB
disconnect and reconnection messages all to do with the CyberPower UPS.
The killall5 command also causes the shutdown script to fail when it
comes to the point of "upsdrvctl shutdown". I would see the following
error messages mixed in amongst the disconnect and reconnect messages:

No matching HID UPS found
Driver failed to start (exit status=1)

Then the rc.0 script would sleep for a bit and power the computer off,
but the UPS would remain on. If it were a real, extended, blackout, the
batteries would go through more full discharges than they need.

My eventual solution was to re-start udev daemon and helper programs
after the root filesystem had been unmounted and remounted read-only.
Here is my /etc/rc.d/rc.0 script with modifications to make the USB UPS
shut off properly:

---begin rc.0

#! /bin/sh
#
# rc.6        This file is executed by init when it goes into runlevel
#        0 (halt) or runlevel 6 (reboot). It kills all processes,
#        unmounts file systems and then either halts or reboots.
#
# Version:    @(#)/etc/rc.d/rc.6    2.47 Sat Jan 13 13:37:26 PST 2001
#
# Author:    Miquel van Smoorenburg <miquels at drinkel.nl.mugnet.org>
# Modified by:  Patrick J. Volkerding, <volkerdi at slackware.com>
#

# Set the path.
PATH=/sbin:/etc:/bin:/usr/bin

# If there are SystemV init scripts for this runlevel, run them.
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.sysvinit ]; then
  . /etc/rc.d/rc.sysvinit
fi

# Set linefeed mode to avoid staircase effect.
/bin/stty onlcr

echo "Running shutdown script $0:"

# Find out how we were called.
case "$0" in
    *0)
        command="halt"
        ;;
    *6)
        command=reboot
        ;;
    *)
        echo "$0: call me as \"rc.0\" or \"rc.6\" please!"
        exit 1
        ;;
esac

# Save the system time to the hardware clock using hwclock --systohc.
if [ -x /sbin/hwclock ]; then
  # Check for a broken motherboard RTC clock (where ioports for rtc are
  # unknown) to prevent hwclock causing a hang:
  if ! grep -q -w rtc /proc/ioports ; then
    CLOCK_OPT="--directisa"
  fi
  if grep -q "^UTC" /etc/hardwareclock 2> /dev/null ; then
    echo "Saving system time to the hardware clock (UTC)."
    /sbin/hwclock $CLOCK_OPT --utc --systohc
  else
    echo "Saving system time to the hardware clock (localtime)."
    /sbin/hwclock  $CLOCK_OPT --localtime --systohc
  fi
fi

# Run any local shutdown scripts:
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.local_shutdown ]; then
  /etc/rc.d/rc.local_shutdown stop
fi

# Stop the Apache web server:
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.httpd ]; then
  /etc/rc.d/rc.httpd stop
fi

# Stop the MySQL database:
if [ -r /var/run/mysql/mysql.pid ]; then
  . /etc/rc.d/rc.mysqld stop
fi

# Stop the Samba server:
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.samba ]; then
  . /etc/rc.d/rc.samba stop
fi

# Shut down the NFS server:
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.nfsd ]; then
  /etc/rc.d/rc.nfsd stop
fi

# Shut down the SSH server:
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.sshd ]; then
  /etc/rc.d/rc.sshd stop
fi

# Shut down the SASL authentication daemon:
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.saslauthd ]; then
  /etc/rc.d/rc.saslauthd stop
fi

# Shut down OpenLDAP:
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.openldap ]; then
  /etc/rc.d/rc.openldap stop
fi

# Stop D-Bus:
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.messagebus ]; then
  sh /etc/rc.d/rc.messagebus stop
fi

# Unmount any NFS, SMB, or CIFS filesystems:
echo "Unmounting remote filesystems."
/bin/umount -v -a -r -t nfs,smbfs,cifs

# Try to shut down pppd:
PS="$(ps ax)"
if echo "$PS" | /bin/grep -q -w pppd ; then
  if [ -x /usr/sbin/ppp-off ]; then
    /usr/sbin/ppp-off
  fi
fi

# Bring down the networking system, but first make sure that this
# isn't a diskless client with the / partition mounted via NFS:
if ! /bin/mount | /bin/grep -q 'on / type nfs' ; then
  if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 ]; then
    . /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 stop
  fi
fi

# In case dhcpcd might have been manually started on the command line,
# look for the .pid file, and shut dhcpcd down if it's found:
if /bin/ls /etc/dhcpc/*.pid 1> /dev/null 2> /dev/null ; then
  /sbin/dhcpcd -k 1> /dev/null 2> /dev/null
  # A little time for /etc/resolv.conf and/or other files to
  # restore themselves.
  sleep 2
fi

# Shut down PCMCIA devices:
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.pcmcia ]; then
  . /etc/rc.d/rc.pcmcia stop
  # The cards might need a little extra time here to deactivate:
  /bin/sleep 5
fi

# Turn off process accounting:
if [ -x /sbin/accton -a -r /var/log/pacct ]; then
  /sbin/accton off
fi

# Terminate acpid before syslog:
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.acpid -a -r /var/run/acpid.pid ]; then # quit
  . /etc/rc.d/rc.acpid stop
fi

# Kill all processes.
# INIT is supposed to handle this entirely now, but this didn't always
# work correctly without this second pass at killing off the processes.
# Since INIT already notified the user that processes were being killed,
# we'll avoid echoing this info this time around.
if [ ! "$1" = "fast" ]; then # shutdown did not already kill all processes
  /sbin/killall5 -15
  /bin/sleep 5
  /sbin/killall5 -9
fi

# Try to turn off quota.
if /bin/grep -q quota /etc/fstab ; then
  if [ -x /sbin/quotaoff ]; then
    echo "Turning off filesystem quotas."
    /sbin/quotaoff -a
  fi
fi

# Carry a random seed between reboots.
echo "Saving random seed from /dev/urandom in /etc/random-seed."
# Use the pool size from /proc, or 512 bytes:
if [ -r /proc/sys/kernel/random/poolsize ]; then
  /bin/dd if=/dev/urandom of=/etc/random-seed count=1 bs=$(cat
/proc/sys/kernel/random/poolsize) 2> /dev/null
else
  /bin/dd if=/dev/urandom of=/etc/random-seed count=1 bs=512 2> /dev/null
fi
/bin/chmod 600 /etc/random-seed

# Before unmounting file systems write a reboot or halt record to wtmp.
$command -w

# Clear /var/lock/subsys.
if [ -d /var/lock/subsys ]; then
  rm -f /var/lock/subsys/*
fi

# Turn off swap:
echo "Turning off swap."
/sbin/swapoff -a
/bin/sync

# Umount any LVM volumes:
if /bin/mount | /bin/grep -q '^/dev/mapper/' ; then
  echo "Unmounting LVM volumes."
  /bin/umount -v $(/bin/mount | /bin/grep '^/dev/mapper/' | /bin/cut -d
' ' -f 3 | /bin/tac)
fi

echo "Unmounting local file systems."
/bin/umount -v -a -t noproc,sysfs,usbfs,devpts

echo "Remounting root filesystem read-only."
/bin/mount -v -n -o remount,ro /

#If this is an extended power failure we really need udev running again
to talk to the USB UPS at the end.
if [ -a /etc/killpower ]; then
 echo "Restarting udevd to be able to shut the UPS power off..."
 /etc/rc.d/rc.udev start
 sleep 10
fi

# This never hurts:
/bin/sync

# Close any volumes opened by cryptsetup:
if [ -f /etc/crypttab -a -x /sbin/cryptsetup.static ]; then
  cat /etc/crypttab | grep -v "^#" | grep -v "^$" | while read line; do
    # NOTE: we only support LUKS formatted volumes (except for swap)!
    LUKS=$(echo $line | tr '\t' ' ' | tr -s ' ' | cut -f1 -d' ')
    DEV=$(echo $line | tr '\t' ' ' | tr -s ' ' | cut -f2 -d' ')
    OPTS=$(echo $line | tr '\t' ' ' | tr -s ' ' | cut -f4 -d' ')
    if /sbin/cryptsetup.static isLuks $DEV 2>/dev/null ; then
      echo "Locking LUKS crypt volume '${LUKS}':"
      /sbin/cryptsetup.static luksClose ${LUKS}
    elif echo $OPTS | grep -wq swap ; then
      # If any of the volumes was used as encrypted swap,
      # then run mkswap on the underlying device -
      # in case other Linux installations on this computer should use it:
      echo "Erasing encrypted swap '${LUKS}' and restoring normal swap
on ${DEV}:"
      /sbin/cryptsetup.static remove ${LUKS}
      mkswap $DEV
    fi
  done
fi

# Deactivate LVM volume groups:
if [ -r /etc/lvmtab -o -d /etc/lvm/backup ]; then
  echo "Deactivating LVM volume groups:"
  /sbin/vgchange -an --ignorelockingfailure
fi

# This never hurts again (especially since root-on-LVM always fails
# to deactivate the / logical volume...  but at least it was
# remounted as read-only first)
/bin/sync

# sleep 3 fixes problems with some hard drives that don't
# otherwise finish syncing before reboot or poweroff
/bin/sleep 3

# This is to ensure all processes have completed on SMP machines:
wait

if [ -x /sbin/genpowerd ]; then
  # See if this is a powerfail situation:
  if /bin/egrep -q "FAIL|SCRAM" /etc/upsstatus 2> /dev/null ; then
    # Signal UPS to shut off the inverter:
    /sbin/genpowerd -k
    if [ ! $? = 0 ]; then
      echo
      echo "There was an error signaling the UPS."
      echo "Perhaps you need to edit /etc/genpowerd.conf to configure"
      echo "the serial line and UPS type."
      # Wasting 15 seconds of precious power:
      /bin/sleep 15
    fi
  fi
fi

#Check if this is a Network UPS Tools triggered power down
if [ -a /etc/killpower ]; then
  echo "----------------------------------------Shutting down UPS power!"
  /usr/local/ups/bin/upsdrvctl shutdown
  echo "The CP685 takes about 10 seconds to react. Cross your fingers!"
  sleep 45
  echo "The UPS was not shut off properly or, the power came back in the"
  echo "middle of the shutdown process or, the USB communications"
  echo "failed. Forcing power-off."
  /sbin/poweroff
fi

# Now halt (poweroff with APM or ACPI enabled kernels) or reboot.
if [ "$command" = "reboot" ]; then
  echo "Rebooting."
  /sbin/reboot
else