[Nut-upsdev] network serial patch for nut-2.0

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 17:15:18 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 7:19 PM, Charles Lepple<clepple at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 14, 2009, at 3:13 PM, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
>
>> We also often attach the serial cable from a UPS to a network terminal
>> server, since servers these days don't come with very many serial ports.
>> (They call them "legacy" ports.)  I submitted a patch to support these for
>> nut-1.x, and it was rejected - for very rational reasons.  But I am trying
>> again.  It allows you to specify "port = trmsrv1:4015" for instance if
>> the UPS is connected to a serial port on trmsrv1 listening on 4015.  Baud
>> rate, etc, are configured on the terminal server in this case, and
>> set_set_speed is ignored.  (In theory, it could log on to the terminal
>> server in admin mode and auto configure, but that would be highly device
>> dependent.  Maybe doable with an expect script and admin port.)
>
> This looks like some useful functionality.
>
> Anticipating some of the other developers' comments, we might want to add
> IPv6 support here, and there could be some code reuse with the existing
> client-side TCP setup.

Arjen,

When you get a chance, can you take a look at this branch?

http://boxster.ghz.cc/projects/nut/log/branches/netport

diffs: http://tinyurl.com/nut-netport

I wouldn't mind taking a stab at some of the IPv6 code, or maybe
reusing some of the other TCP routines from the client/server
protocol, but I was wondering what you thought about this.

--
- Charles Lepple