[Nut-upsdev] Path for .fdi files (was: Re: [nut-commits] buildbot failure in FreeBSD-i686)

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 13:26:25 UTC 2009

2009/12/26 Arjen de Korte <nut+devel at de-korte.org>:
> Citeren Arjen de Korte <nut+devel at de-korte.org>:
>
>>> Should we be checking ${datarootdir} in the 'test' line?
>>
>> Looking at the contents of m4/nut_check_libhal.m4 now, we probably should.
>
> Never mind this remark. At the time this test is run, it looks like this
> variable isn't expanded yet, so this will fail miserably. So I've reverted
> back to the change you made.
>
> I also doubt if line 77 is actually doing something. It fails to detect the
> '${libdir}/hal' directory on OpenSUSE (which uses a similar layout as
> Debian):
>
> 77              if (test -d "${libdir}/hal"); then
> 78                      # For Debian
> 79                      HAL_CALLOUTS_PATH="${libdir}/hal"
> 80                      AC_MSG_RESULT(${HAL_CALLOUTS_PATH})
>
> I question if constructions like this will ever match. On OpenSUSE it will
> fallback to the default
>
> 89              else
> 90                      # FIXME
> 91                      HAL_CALLOUTS_PATH="${libdir}/hal"
> 92                      AC_MSG_RESULT(using default (${HAL_CALLOUTS_PATH}))
>
> which happens to result in the same. In the patches for OpenSUSE 11.2
> something similar is also added, to prevent it from relying on the default
> action.
>
> @Arnaud: Can you check what happened on Debian before I committed r2202,
> adding a test for '/usr/lib/hal'? The BuildBot we currently use doesn't have
> HAL support, so we can't test this.

is this test still needed?

for the recall, HAL is marked for deprecation for ~ 1 year, and there
are only a few bugfixes applied (asked by RedHat to Dave Zeuthen...).

I'm still wondering if it's worth keeping this in the tree.
the only reason would be a dual implementation that adds UPower
support, and even with that, my discussions with Richard Hughes
(UPower / GPM) concluded that UPower can limit to USB/HID only
devices, and for the rest (other device types, more complex setup,
...), NUT is there...
Thus I've planned to give some love to UPower's UPS support, and add
some more data and features... once 2.6.0 is out.

As a side note, the 2.6.0 packages (in Debian, Redhat and Suse at
least, following discussions with the packagers) will drop the
nut-hal-drivers package.

cheers,
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://www.eaton.com/mgeops