[Nut-upsdev] Adding PDU support to NUT

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 17:24:38 UTC 2009

2009/1/10 Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle at tamay-dogan.net>

> Hello Arnaud and *,

Hi Michelle,

> What is the actual status of the PDU support?

still in early stage. The full integration will happen with 2.6, and the
device collection propagation...

I have the question, since tthe development is nearly complete and  only
> the microcontroller missing (I am searching the most suitable one)
>
> Am 2008-10-30 16:38:13, schrieb Arnaud Quette:
> > - a new collection ("device") has to be created, to make NUT more
> generic.
> > This would consist of the following generic / common data extracted
> > from the ups collection:
> >        device.model
> >        device.mfr
> >        device.serial
> >        device.type (while keeping ups.status for single / three phase)
> > and possibly
> >        device.id
> >        device.firmware
> >        device.temperature
>
> I have a request for an additional
>
>         device.fanspeed: RpM
>
> >     * the outlet collection has to be extended with the following data:
> >        outlet.n.current: Current (milliamps RMS)
> >        outlet.n.current.maximum: Maximum seen current (milliamps RMS)
> >        outlet.n.realpower: Current value of real power (Watts)
> >        outlet.n.voltage: Voltage (V)
> >        outlet.n.powerfactor: Power Factor (dimensionless value between
> > 0.00 and 1.00)
> >        outlet.n.power: Apparent power (VA)
>
> Since I have a "24V DC modular ATX PSU" I have the question for the "n"
> in the outlet.
>
> The ATX PSU has 5 standard output voltages
>
>    +12  V
>    + 5  V
>    + 3.3V
>    + 5  Vsb
>    -12  V
>
> and someone can add up to 3 additional power modules to extend  the  PSU
> and can have any voltages (even mixed up on a singel module) like
>
>    +12  V
>    + 5  V
>    + 3.3V
>    + 2.5V
>    + 1.8V
>    + 0.8V
>
> This mean, I need a hierarchy separator but how to do?
>
> E.g. the standard one could be something like
>
>    outlet.0.temperature:          63.6
>    outlet.0.p12.current:          4321
>    outlet.0.p12.current.maximum: 10000
>    outlet.0.p12.realpower:          51
>    outlet.0.p12.voltage:          11.8
>    outlet.0.p12.voltage.nominal:  12.0
>    outlet.0.p50.current:          4321
>    outlet.0.p33.current:
>    outlet.0.p5s.current:
>    outlet.0.n12.current:
>
> and for the three slots:
>
>    outlet.1.p12.current:
>    outlet.2.p50.current:
>    outlet.3.p33.current:
>
> I have prefixed the 3rd hierarchy with "p" for positive voltage and  "n"
> for the negative voltage.
>
> Also I have the need for a "temperature" sensor per module as  shown  on
> the top of "outlet.0"
>
> Any suggestions?

I'm not sure to fully understand your needs there, but since you will
somehow be your only consumer (or let's rephrase this with "it's not for a
large public market"), chances are that your driver and changes to NUT will
be only available on your side (remember the GPL terms there).

So go ahead and do what you want here...
What has been done for the 3phases support in NUT might help you (check
docs/new-names.txt)

about the outlet.0 (representing the whole device for a PDU, or all the
outlets), this has just been renamed to "outlet". So that would be
"outlet.temperature"

Others may have some more ideas.

cheers,
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://www.eaton.com/mgeops