[Nut-upsdev] Bad news - my UPS has died. Good news - my UPS has died

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 08:59:08 UTC 2009

Hey Eric,

2009/1/15 Eric S. Raymond <esr at snark.thyrsus.com>

> My UPS died two nights ago.  From the symptoms, including the fact
> that the event took the motherboard of my main machine with it and the
> unreasonable amount of heat the UPS was generating immediately after,
> I believe this was a genuine fried-brains failure of the control
> electronics, not a mere battery death.  The old UPS (a Belkin FVC1200)
> has been packed off to a recycler, and the motherboard hurriedly
> replaced.
>
> The good news, for you guys anyway, is that becoming active in NUT
> again just became much more interesting :-) I had unfinished business
> with revising the NUT documentation that I had let slide because of
> being a lead on one project (gpsd) and a senior dev on another (Battle
> For Wesnoth).  Now I have every reason to finish that job, because I
> shall need to re-familiarize myself with the NUT installation and
> configuration process anyway.  In parallel, I will update the UPS
> HOWTO, <http://tldp.org/HOWTO/UPS-HOWTO/introduction.html>.

let's say that it's one more reason, with the ping I made you a few weeks
ago.
coincidence or... ? (note that I can't yet burn UPS remotely ;-)

but you're right: it's a great news, and we may restart the NUT
documentation we've talked about.

I have not yet selected a replacement UPS.  There is no urgent need
> for me to do so; where I live (mid-Atlantic coast of the U.S.) it is
> the dead of winter and the absolutely least risky time of the year for
> events like blackouts and electrical storms.  I have about three
> months before our summer storm season really threatens.  Rather than
> buy a UPS instantly, I would prefer to do some research on the state
> of the market in 2009 and allow others to benefit from what I learn.
>
> Accordingly, I have at least three sets of questions that I will pose
> to the NUT list as separate notes in order to start off topic threads.
> The answers to these questions will inform my buying decision, will
> be directly updated in a near-future update to the UPS HOWTO, and will
> determine how much and what kind of work I put in on NUT during the
> next few months.

so, see you in the followup...

cheers,
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://www.eaton.com/mgeops