[Nut-upsdev] Patch to always install libupsclient-config

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 14:58:45 UTC 2009

Hi Florian,

2009/1/26 Florian Forster <octo at verplant.org>

> Hi Charles,
>
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 11:00:19AM -0500, Charles Lepple wrote:
> > practically speaking, you probably only need to check for the
> > libupsclient.pc - there are not many people out there who would have
> > the library built properly, but who would have libupsclient-config
> > instead of libupsclient.pc.
>
> I agree that `pkg-config' is the way to go, but I want to write programs
> that work for everybody, not just ``most people''. I'll have to check
> using both methods anyway, so never mind.
>
> > In particular, I think libupsclient was not built on older versions
> > of the Debian package, so people would either need to rebuild NUT
> > from source with the library enabled, or find a backport.
>
> It's okay to optimize for the most common use-case, but you should still
> make if *possible* for other users to use your library.
>
> > I think we were in the process of deprecating libupsclient-config.
> > Arnaud, is this still the case?
>
> Why? Just because you and I are using `pkg-config' doesn't mean
> everybody else should *have to*. What problems does installing
> `libupsclient-config' bring, that I'm not aware of?
>
> Maybe the attached patch is more to your liking: It adds a new option /
> conditional so you can en-/disable libupsclient-config separately from
> the .pc file. By default, it is disabled.

I still don't see the light.
imho, we covers all the use cases by providing either the .pc *or* the
alternate libupsclient-config.
I don't see the need for having both installed since the end consumers (the
client apps) will have to support pkg-config only (if it works only on
systems providing it) or both (which is the case for wmnut, since it's a
basic X11 client, working on any X11 system).

Is your use case to rely only on libupsclient-config?

FYI, I'm still holding the final 2.4.0 a bit more to address your case.