[Nut-upsdev] Patch to always install libupsclient-config

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Mon Jan 26 10:50:39 UTC 2009

Hi Charles,

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 11:00:19AM -0500, Charles Lepple wrote:
> practically speaking, you probably only need to check for the
> libupsclient.pc - there are not many people out there who would have
> the library built properly, but who would have libupsclient-config
> instead of libupsclient.pc.

I agree that `pkg-config' is the way to go, but I want to write programs
that work for everybody, not just ``most people''. I'll have to check
using both methods anyway, so never mind.

> In particular, I think libupsclient was not built on older versions
> of the Debian package, so people would either need to rebuild NUT
> from source with the library enabled, or find a backport.

It's okay to optimize for the most common use-case, but you should still
make if *possible* for other users to use your library.

> I think we were in the process of deprecating libupsclient-config.
> Arnaud, is this still the case?

Why? Just because you and I are using `pkg-config' doesn't mean
everybody else should *have to*. What problems does installing
`libupsclient-config' bring, that I'm not aware of?

Maybe the attached patch is more to your liking: It adds a new option /
conditional so you can en-/disable libupsclient-config separately from
the .pc file. By default, it is disabled.

Regards,
-octo
--
Florian octo Forster