[Nut-upsdev] [nut-commits] svn commit r1875 - in branches/AsciiDoc: . docs docs/icons

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 12:39:38 UTC 2009

Hey Charles,

2009/7/29 Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com>

> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 3:41 PM, Arnaud Quette<aquette.dev at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> the
> >>
> >> Hi Arnaud,
> >>
> >> would it be OK for me to merge the contents of the shell script into
> >> docs/Makefile.am?
> >>
> >> I plan to make the extra Buildbot step copy the generated documentation
> >> someplace web-accessible.
> >
> > though this is the aim (very) soon, ATM I prefer to keep the simple shell
> > script for testing quickly and avoiding to call automake.
>
> OK. I will try to merge that into the automake rules, in order to
> reduce the number of times I need to reconfigure the Buildbot scripts.

agreed (with your other mail)

> > btw, for the User and Developer Guides (not applicable to the Packager
> one),
> > I'm thinking about using the combined document approach (eg having a
> > developer.txt that simply includes 1 file per chapters). the drawback of
> > this is that we can have a header in this file. but we can have this
> header
> > as a comment and put all authors in the main file. I've not validated
> this,
> > but we might have to use the .xml file to declare multiple authors...
> > comments and thought on your side?
>
> I admit that I do not know much about asciidoc itself - I spent about
> a half hour trying to get it to generate a hyperlink for a plain URL
> (using the command line in docs/Makefile.am) before I gave up and
> focused on the Buildbot side.

you've well done!
I'm finishing to clear the path so that you can then go straightforward on
the developer guide.
most of the technical choices are done, so I'll continue to commit a few
things by the end of the week.
I'll send a summary mail once everything is ok.

btw, we will need 2 targets here:
- 1 for the documentation that will be shipped as part of the packages (HTML
and optionally PDF),
- 1 for the website (ie the website specific part, including the
homepage/news ; and the doc with a suitable layout for integrating to the
website). The tricky part there is that I would like to have a separate file
for the news, then included in the homepage.txt. so that we could then use
the news.txt to serve an rss feed...

these are mostly the last points I'm currently checking.

on that website side, we can start setting up the toolchain.
what I've in mind ATM is that you use your local buildbot to regenerate the
dynamic part of the website, and an automated rsync on the Eaton webserver
will pull these changes...

in that aim, I've commited (r1883 on the AsciiDoc branch) some preliminary
work on the website.
things like the menu's links are broken, waiting for the user manual to be
available. so it's just a kind of proof of concept.
I've setup a new.networkupstools.org, so that we can still keep test.nut
ATM, to rip off some contents that only exist there. I've only put an
equivalent base of what will be generated in the end (website.html renamed
to index.html + the CSS and images dir).
you should be able to access it within a few hours, just the time to
propagate through the NSs...
we'll switch to a private discussion to finalize the rsync setup.

If we need to, we can paste in an Authors file before running asciidoc.

possible, I've still not validated that point yet.

cheers,
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://www.eaton.com/mgeops