[Nut-upsdev] international charactes (was: Re: [nut-commits] svn commit r1805 - trunk/drivers)

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 12:59:36 UTC 2009

2009/3/16 Arjen de Korte <nut+devel at de-korte.org <nut%2Bdevel at de-korte.org>>

> Citeren Arnaud Quette <aquette.dev at gmail.com>:
>
> >> I can't remember, were we moving towards or away from UTF-8?
> > I can't recall any such move, but toward UTF-8 would be a better bet for
> the
> > future!
>
> The latter is probably true for the documentation, but I'm reluctant
> to state so for the C sources. We're at the mercy of whatever editor
> developers choose to use, since as far as I know there is no standard
> way of telling an editor to use UTF-8.
>
> So whatever we get here, largely depends on what developers are using
> at the time they write/submit code. We should really discourage people
> from using anything else but US-ASCII in source files, especially in
> comment lines.

though I perfectly understand your point of view, I strongly disagree with
US-ASCII being the standard here.
UTF is there so that everybody can play on the same ground, wherever he's
located and whatever is mother tong is.

moreover, since the comments are (well, should be at least) in english, that
leaves only first/last names that need the i18n support. So going to
US-ASCII means that we'll have to rename contributors. I personally don't
feel that respelling the name of our team members or contributors is the
path forward!

that said, I'm opened to general feedback, and whatever the final decision
is, this will have to go into the developers doc...

cheers,