[Nut-upsdev] usbhid-ups input reports

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Mon Nov 30 08:18:35 UTC 2009

I want to revive an old discussion. Should we use the contents of
input reports or not?

A while back, we decided not to use the contents of input reports,
because there is no guarantee that input report 'n' has the same
meaning as feature report 'n'. We have not seen any cases so far where
this is not the case, but as far as we could see, there is nothing in
the HID PDC specification that doesn't allow this. Therefor, when an
input report is received, the usbhid-ups driver will now disregard the
contents and instead proceeds to read the feature report with the same

I would like to change this behavior. For all report descriptors that
I could find, the input- and feature reports seem to cover the same
variables, so there shouldn't be a problem to do this. In case this
would be a problem, there is still a workaround possible by adding the
'pollonly' flag to ups.conf, which will make the driver ignore input
reports altogether.

Any objections?

Please keep list traffic on the list