[Nut-upsdev] MGE NMC and NutShutdownModule (and other stuff)

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Mon Oct 26 21:02:53 UTC 2009

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009, Arjen de Korte wrote:

> >A possible sample configuration could be:
> >
> >[globalups]
> > driver = mgensm-ups
> > port = parallel
> > minimum = 1
> > ups1.port = ups1.domain.com
> > ups1.outlet = main
> > ups2.port = ups2.domain.com
> > ups2.outlet = 2
>
> Yes. In the upsmon clients (for good reason). You don't want to do this in the
> server, let alone in the driver.
>
> >So, at the end, is it interesting or not? May I spend some time on this in
> >the future? Or am I going to waste my time?
>
> I'm afraid the latter, until we find a way how to make this transparent to the
> upsd server. Ie, let a single driver update multiple outlets through a single
> driver socket. This would be possible, but this would probably require quite a
> bit of work on the upsd server.

If I understand the problem correctly, here is a possible solution: create
another daemon (mged) that connects to the high end UPS and in turn listens on
multiple sockets, one for each outlet.  Each socket would simulate a simple
UPS.  There would be a NUT driver for each simulated UPS that connects to a
socket on mged.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>