[Nut-upsdev] MGE NMC and NutShutdownModule (and other stuff)

Marco Chiappero marco at absence.it
Mon Oct 26 23:44:13 UTC 2009

Stuart D. Gathman ha scritto:
> If I understand the problem correctly, here is a possible solution: create
> another daemon (mged) that connects to the high end UPS and in turn listens on
> multiple sockets, one for each outlet.  Each socket would simulate a simple
> UPS.  There would be a NUT driver for each simulated UPS that connects to a
> socket on mged.

Ok, let's make a step backward. I have read again the upsmon man page
and the whole point is: does upsmon support all the configurations the
Eaton NSM software provides (listed here
http://i34.tinypic.com/2ynms9h.png)? It looks so to me (except for the
serial one?), is it right? If so, we just need to include the NSM
communication protocol in the mge-xml subrdiver; it's the only thing
needed. Its functionality overlaps a little bit with the clone driver
but would be a much better option for NMC owners. If not, there are two
other solutions at the moment, a redundant configuration exposed as a
single global UPS through a new driver or a different deamon replacing
upsd (BTW, how to talk to the Network Management Cards? Should the
deamon take care about it or the UPS drivers?). Among the two, the
latter looks time consuming (I would not work on it), the driver aproach
is a sort of compromise, while the subdriver approach is in my opinion
the best one (just a normal ups feed by the NMC) if it suffices the
redundancy offered by upsmon.
I'd be glad to have a reply about this, since after writing the patch
for the mge-xml subdriver I thought to clone the Eaton NSM software
using a new NUT driver to certainly provide the same funcionalities [1]
which the subdriver approach cannot offer.

Regards,
Marco

[1] I consider to be an important aspect to allow people moving from the
Eaton proprietary software to NUT.