[Nut-upsdev] Evolution of the driver.list file

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 09:33:03 UTC 2009

Fellows,

as you might have noticed, the online Hardware Compatibility List is
evolving a lot with the new website:
http://buildbot.ghz.cc/~buildbot/docs/r1940-91/website/stable-hcl.html

now, 2 more information are needed to provide better filtering and more
accurate information:
- the type of device, since NUT now support UPS, PDU and SCD,
- the support level, as it was discussed, to show which vendors support NUT
and which don't.
the rating is from 1 to 5 stars, with the following meanings:
*       protocol based on reverse engineering
**      based on fragments of publicly available protocol
***     based on publicly available protocol
****    vendor provided protocol
*****   vendor provided protocol and hardware

at first, I was thinking about putting these info into the drivers. but this
seems not to be the best approach.
putting this directly into the driver.list would be better.

the current format of this file is:

the new format would be:
extra>\t<driver [parameters]>

Since this file is not much computed currently (it's mostly useful for
configuration tools), we can break the format without worrying much.

Any comments?

cheers,
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://www.eaton.com/mgeops