[Nut-upsdev] Best UPS protocol for home-made firmware?

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Mon Apr 19 10:13:11 UTC 2010

Citeren Chris Boot <bootc op bootc.net>:

> I'd really like this UPS to interface with NUT so that I can use a
> variety of tools to monitor it, such as Nagios and cacti, etc... I
> really don't want to have to write my own driver for NUT if I can
> avoid doing so, so the main question is which serial interface is
> the most sane for me to implement in my controller. The megatec
> driver seems to be one of the most popular but I can't find much
> documentation about the protocol.

I don't think this is the most suitable protocol, but nevertheless:

     http://www.networkupstools.org/protocols/megatec.html

> In addition I'm wondering how much NUT looks at various parameters
> like input / battery / line voltage, since in my case it would be
> 12-18V and not the more common 110/230V. :-)

NUT basically only really cares about the flags in 'ups.status', all
other variables are just bells-and-whistles and will not be used to
determine when it is time to shutdown. So the values of input-,
output- and battery voltage are irrelevant, they will be relayed as is.

Please keep list traffic on the list