[Nut-upsdev] Best UPS protocol for home-made firmware?

Chris Boot bootc at bootc.net
Mon Apr 19 10:33:13 UTC 2010

On 19/04/2010 11:13, Arjen de Korte wrote:
> Citeren Chris Boot <bootc at bootc.net>:
>
>> I'd really like this UPS to interface with NUT so that I can use a
>> variety of tools to monitor it, such as Nagios and cacti, etc... I
>> really don't want to have to write my own driver for NUT if I can
>> avoid doing so, so the main question is which serial interface is the
>> most sane for me to implement in my controller. The megatec driver
>> seems to be one of the most popular but I can't find much
>> documentation about the protocol.
>
> I don't think this is the most suitable protocol, but nevertheless:
>
>     http://www.networkupstools.org/protocols/megatec.html

Thanks for the link - I had seen this before but I'm not sure if it
conveys the whole picture. I guess I can always read the megatec driver
source to figure out what it wants to do :-)

But if it isn't the most suitable driver, do you have a better one in mind?

>> In addition I'm wondering how much NUT looks at various parameters
>> like input / battery / line voltage, since in my case it would be
>> 12-18V and not the more common 110/230V. :-)
>
> NUT basically only really cares about the flags in 'ups.status', all
> other variables are just bells-and-whistles and will not be used to
> determine when it is time to shutdown. So the values of input-,
> output- and battery voltage are irrelevant, they will be relayed as is.

I thought as much, but it's good to have this confirmed. Thanks.

Cheers,
Chris