[Nut-upsdev] Syslog flooding

Kelvin Ku kelvin at telemetry-investments.com
Tue Apr 20 12:50:19 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 09:29:42AM +0200, Arjen de Korte wrote:
> Citeren Kelvin Ku <kelvin at telemetry-investments.com>:
>
>> When I restart NUT, everything is OK until the next spontaneous
>> reconnection. Two questions:
>>
>> 1. If I can reset the connection by restarting the driver, is there a way to
>> make the driver do this itself?
>>
>> 2. If not, is there a way to suppress or limit the syslog messages,
>> other than
>> a syslog filter?
>>
>> Note that I have three other UPSs of the same type which do not exhibit this
>> behavior.
>
> If you're monitoring two (or more) UPSes from the same host system, make
> sure they can be uniquely identified by the regular expressions you
> specified in 'ups.conf'. The situation you're describing is typical for
> an installation where this is not done properly (see also 'man 8
> usbhid-ups'). The regular expressions are *mandatory* as soon as you
> connect multiple UPS devices to a single host.

This is ups.conf on the host of concern:

maxstartdelay = 120

[upsserv8]
        driver = usbhid-ups
        port = auto
        serial = 9824ALCPS720000277

[upsserv7]
        driver = usbhid-ups
        port = auto
        serial = 9824ALCPS720000282

Note that the problematic unit, upsserv7, exhibits the USB disconnect behavior
even when it's the only UPS connected to the host.

- Kelvin