[Nut-upsdev] Request to add new nut variable to get device part number

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 08:44:10 UTC 2010

Fellows,

2010/4/21 <ChetanAgarwal at eaton.com>

> > Have a look at the following list of variables that we already
> support:
> >
> >      (device|ups).model
> >      (device|ups).mfr
> >      (device|ups).serial
> >      (device|ups).type
> >      (device|ups).firmware
> >      (device|ups).firmware.aux
> >      (device|ups).id
> >
> > 1) In what way is the suggested new variable name different from the
> > ones above?
> (...)
>
> device.part can be useful for identifying the ups.
>
> > 2) Why do we need to be able to access this remotely?
> >
> > NUT is not an ERP system.
> >
> Part number is present for almost all the devices and can help identify
> the model and other details using the part number.

I second Chetan:
the part number can somehow be considered as the serial number.
that is to say, an information that:
- can be needed for support situations,
- can help managing large systems, using NUT to feed a CMDB (1) system.

Considering that some big names (like Dell) are starting to join, this is
the kind of details that will help us in rallying such companies.

cheers,
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMDB
--
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://www.eaton.com/mgeops