[Nut-upsdev] PowerCOM - HID PDC status

Alexander Gordeev lasaine at lvk.cs.msu.su
Mon Feb 1 12:31:27 UTC 2010

В Tue, 19 Jan 2010 13:28:51 +0100
Arjen de Korte <nut+devel at de-korte.org> пишет:

> Citeren Alexander Gordeev <lasaine at lvk.cs.msu.su>:
>
> > I've received the units. Are there any special things I should test
> > or just the standard NUT setup?
>
> They should be detected out of the box (with the latest version from
> the trunk) through the 'usbhid-ups' driver. Note that I just added
> some additional commands to enable|disable|mute the beeper of the
> UPS. This is entirely untested, since the model and firmware version
> I have, doesn't support this (in fact is quite broken in this
> respect). Please check if this works as intended.

I've finally checked the UPSes. I've got Powercom IMP-525AP and
WOW-850U. First of all, both completely ignore beeper.toggle :(
Some debug output is attached.

IMP-525AP is working good. It does what it should do on every command
(except beeper.toggle). However I've seen ALARM flag and "Internal UPS
fault!" status for a couple of seconds several times. But nothing bad
had happened. I've also tried to insert back the power while the
shutdown timer was ticking. Shutdown was not canceled. The power was
back after a small delay in case of shutdown.return.

WOW-850U is not that intelligent. Self test runs well. load.on* don't
work at all. Both shutdown.return and shutdown.stayoff make it shutdown
and return when power is back. But the behaviour is different if
the power is inserted back while shutdown timer is ticking. :)
In case of shutdown.return everything works ok. But if it is
shutdown.stayoff UPS goes into a deep freeze. It seems that it is just
off, but it is very hard to turn it on again and it reports 'Internal
UPS fault!' over USB. It doesn't turn on when I press the power button.
Well, a couple of times I was actually able to turn it on after several
minutes of random pressing the button but this doesn't always work.
There is better way to revive it: pull out and then insert back the
power cord.

BTW, I've also tested both UPSes with the kernel usbhid driver. Both
UPSes now report correct battery charge percent. But there is an issue
with WOW-850U: when online and fully charged it still constantly
"flickers" between to values - 99% and 100%. Each transition causes the
software to generate a notification, either "battery is discharging" or
"battery fully charged", which is annoying.

--
  Alexander