[Nut-upsdev] 2.4.2 freeze

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 21:15:01 UTC 2010

2010/2/13 Charles Lepple:
> On Feb 12, 2010, at 3:25 PM, Arnaud Quette wrote:
>
>> 2010/2/12 Arjen de Korte:
>>>
>>> Citeren Arnaud Quette:

>>> Do we really need tags for this? In recent history, we have seen little
>>> no responses to the -pre releases. Can't we just direct people to a
>>> specific
>>> SVN revision? Or even better, provide them with a link to a tarball that
>>> they can use?
>>
>> that makes sense! I'll reserve tags for final release.
>> from now on, the "-pre" cycle will only consist in freezing for a week.
>> as usual, this is limited to non invasive changes.
>>
>> having a symlink to the latest buildbot tarball would help.
>> @Charles: can you please recall me the situation on that point?
>
> It really should be a redirect rather than a symlink, so that the filename
> reflects the revision. I haven't had time to look into implementing that.
>
> On the other hand, the whole purpose of a freeze is to test a specific
> version, so I think it makes sense to say "test the tarball at this specific
> URL".
>
> Using the '[help]' link at the bottom of the waterfall, it is possible to
> customize the list of builds. The following URL limits the list to trunk
> builds with tarballs:
>
> http://buildbot.networkupstools.org/public/nut/waterfall?branch=trunk&builder=Debian-etch-x86&reload=none

I've done a few changes in that way on the Download page (r2351):
http://buildbot.ghz.cc/~buildbot/docs/r2351-444/website/download.html

- the Snapshots info points your above link,
- the Testing info (currently 2.4.2-pre) points the Snapshots section,
since there are not so many people testing pre releases and snapshots
out there, I don't think that the pre release cycle should point a
specific tarball.
instead, we will prefer the latest trunk snapshot, since at that time,
it will be frozen and dedicated to the upcoming release (refer to the
current situation...).
the situation could probably be simplified with a redirect to the
latest trunk tarball for the testing period.
but that's the cherry on the top of the nut ;-)

comments and feedback are still welcome.

cheers,