[Nut-upsdev] NUT on Windows

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 03:03:03 UTC 2010

On Jan 17, 2010, at 9:21 PM, Alexey Loukianov wrote:

> 18.01.2010 05:03, Charles Lepple wrote:
>> On Jan 17, 2010, at 8:31 PM, Alexey Loukianov wrote:
>
>> You might check to see if WinNUT uses any of the NUT core code, or if
>> any of the build system could help port the rest of NUT.
>
> WinNUT is monitor client only so it don't talk to USPes directly.
> Will try to
> search google for cygwin port of libusb and NUT to Windows. Looks
> like windows
> support it is not the frequently requested thing :-D.
>

>> The thing is, many of the devices that NUT supports are USB HID
>> Class.
>> The easiest way to access HID Class devices in Windows is not to try
>> and talk HID protocol directly the way that we do with libusb, but to
>> use the Windows HID APIs.
>
> I hadn't had any experience with utilizing USB devices under Windows
> but it
> seems to me that in case there are any working windows ports of
> libusb, its API
> should be almost the same as it is for any other operating system.

It's not so much an API issue, but usability. libusb-win32 requires a
driver. The forthcoming port of libusb-1.0 seems to be focused on
WinUSB, so that eliminates older Windows installations.

> There's no
> point in porting common library to another platform and changing API's
> drastically along the way. It then would be easier to create a
> totally new
> library with a different API that integrates best into target
> operating system.

Funny you should mention that... This comes up a lot on the libhid
mailing lists, but nobody has contributed a Windows HID API backend
yet. http://libhid.alioth.debian.org/ for more details.