[Nut-upsdev] Liebert ESP II driver

Farkas Levente lfarkas at lfarkas.org
Tue Jul 6 19:23:13 UTC 2010

On 07/06/2010 08:56 PM, Arjen de Korte wrote:
> Citeren Robert Jobbagy <jobbagy.robert at gmail.com>:
>
>> I checked out the HEAD rev and tried the liebert driver.
>> it gave wrong model,firmware,serial, mfr date value. caused by len
>> variable
>> in line 97 and after
>
> If you provide the debug output, this will save us looking up the last
> time you posted the results.
>
>> I use my ups with usb -> serial converter.
>
> Which one?

anyone. since the usb-serial converters use in this way. and with this
patch both the serial and the usb-serial connection works.

>> Because If I switch my ups on battery (plugged off the input) then
>> liebert
>> driver force shutdown PC and shutdown UPS.
>
> In it's present state, the liebert-esp2 driver can't shutdown the UPS.
>
>> Battery is full charged. UPS doesnt recieve LOW BATTERY EVENT.
>
> How old are the batteries? When was the last time you ran a battery
> test? This sounds more like a bad battery than a driver problem. Worn
> out batteries are a common cause of mishaps like these, where the
> batteries seem to be fine when not loaded (mains present), but fail
> under load (mains failure) within seconds.
>
>> the shutdown function is missing from liebert-esp2 driver, this is the
>> reason the force shutdown ?
>
> The driver won't be able to shutdown the UPS if the upsdrv_shutdown
> function is not functional. If the UPS kills the output, it is not
> caused by NUT but most likely by the battery protection.

in it's present state the liebert ups has an internal settings. and it's
by default (ie. if nut's liebert-esp2 driver do not set it otherwise) if
the ups plugged off the input then it _immediately_ send a "LOW BATTERY
EVENT". in response to this nut shutdown the host computer and after 120
second turn off the liebert ups itself.
so in the present state if nut with liebert-esp2 running on any computer
with liebert ups even if the battery if fully charged the host will
shutdown immediately.
for me it means currently nut's liebert-esp2 worse then liebert without nut.