[Nut-upsdev] Announce: new team member (to work on Mozilla NSS port)

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 12:11:37 UTC 2010

Dear fellows,

As you have probably seen, NUT has had a recent boost through the help of
Eaton.

Frederic Bohe (contractor for Eaton France) has worked on Augeas, and is now
working the Windows port.

Chetan Agarwal, seconded by Prashi Gandi (both from Eaton India) are working
on XCP and quality / validation related projects.

I'm now pleased to announce that Emilien Kia (contractor for Eaton France)
is joining the team to work on Mozilla NSS port.
A branch (ssl-nss-port) was created some time ago to track the work on this
topic.
But now that we have somebody to work on it, we can expect result soon
(around Christmas).

For the recall, the port from OpenSSL to Mozilla NSS will:
- solve a major distribution isssue: since OpenSSL is licensed under BSD,
some (most) Linux distributions were not able to ship NUT packages with SSL
support enabled. NSS being available under 3 licenses, among which the GPL,
this will soon be an old story.
- NSS is FIPS 140 certified, while OpenSSL is not. For more information on
this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIPS_140
- finally, there is a move in Linux distributions, toward standardizing on
NSS everything related to certificate management.
That means in the end that Linux distro would be able to provide tools
(textual and graphical) to manage a central certificates repository, which
means easier tasks for the users.

Please join me into welcoming Emilien, and supporting the Eaton Opensource
team ^_^

@Michal: I hope you will enjoy ;-)

cheers,
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://powerquality.eaton.com