[Nut-upsdev] Announce: new team member (to work on Mozilla NSS port)

Rob Crittenden rcrit at greyoak.com
Tue Nov 30 20:40:23 UTC 2010

Arnaud Quette wrote:
> Dear fellows,
>
> As you have probably seen, NUT has had a recent boost through the help
> of Eaton.
>
> Frederic Bohe (contractor for Eaton France) has worked on Augeas, and is
> now working the Windows port.
>
> Chetan Agarwal, seconded by Prashi Gandi (both from Eaton India) are
> working on XCP and quality / validation related projects.
>
> I'm now pleased to announce that Emilien Kia (contractor for Eaton
> France) is joining the team to work on Mozilla NSS port.
> A branch (ssl-nss-port) was created some time ago to track the work on
> this topic.
> But now that we have somebody to work on it, we can expect result soon
> (around Christmas).
>
> For the recall, the port from OpenSSL to Mozilla NSS will:
> - solve a major distribution isssue: since OpenSSL is licensed under
> BSD, some (most) Linux distributions were not able to ship NUT packages
> with SSL support enabled. NSS being available under 3 licenses, among
> which the GPL, this will soon be an old story.
> - NSS is FIPS 140 certified, while OpenSSL is not. For more information
> on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIPS_140

OpenSSL is FIPS-certified. See
http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/STM/cmvp/documents/140-1/140val-all.htm
(cert 1111 in general, RHEL 5.4 cert 1320, etc).

In any case, if you run into any problems I'm to blame for
nss_compat_ossl. It's been a while since I worked on it so I'm a tad
rusty but ping me if you need help.

rob