[Nut-upsdev] [nut-commits] svn commit r2588 - branches/windows_port/common

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 14:18:43 UTC 2010

Le 20 octobre 2010 14:58, Charles Lepple a écrit :

> On Oct 20, 2010, at 8:39 AM, Arnaud Quette wrote:
>
>  - or we could have a more native windows approach, by having the conf
>> stored in the registry. Though this needs to change the *conf
>> implementation.
>>
>> In both cases, I don't know if there is a better solution for addressing
>> at the same time the security side of the config ...
>>

> Both NTFS and the registry support user- and group-based security. I
> intentionally did not suggest the registry because it would make our
> documentation even harder for new users to understand.

that's probably where the configuration tools / UI (both graphical and CLI)
will provide the solution.

> Also, wouldn't it be better for Augeas support if we stick to one
> configuration file type?

well, Augeas main point is to solve the heterogeneity of /etc contents, and
provide generic ways to manage these contents.
the problem is different on windows, and I'm not sure that considering
windows as another Unix is the right solution in the long run. Even more if
we map the config pieces on the registry scheme.

Consider the following driver entry:
- current format (ups.conf):
[device]
    driver = mydriver
    port = myport

- access through Augeas
    * access the driver name (get / set):
/files/etc/nut/ups.conf/mydriver/driver
    * access the port name (get / set):
/files/etc/nut/ups.conf/mydriver/port

- access in the registry (exact details may be wrong!)
    * access the driver name (get / set):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\NUT\\ups.conf\\mydriver\\driver
    * access the port name (get / set):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\NUT\\ups.conf\\mydriver\\port

You get the "configuration mapping" idea.

so, for now, we may live with a development that relies on the historic unix
style config files.
And Chetan's 'WINDOWS\Config' approach may be a part of this temporary
solution.
in the meantime, I'll be thinking a bit more on this configuration topic.

thanks to you all for the feedback and ideas.

cheers,