[Nut-upsdev] [nut-commits] svn commit r2610 -branches/silent_build

ChetanAgarwal at Eaton.com ChetanAgarwal at Eaton.com
Mon Oct 25 12:52:19 UTC 2010

Hello All,

I have done the autoreconf and configure test for HPUX IA64 and Solaris
SPARC systems using branches/silent_build. I am attaching the config.log
files for your reference. On both the systems it was successful.

Thanks & Regards,
Chetan Agarwal
From: nut-upsdev-bounces+chetanagarwal=eaton.com at lists.alioth.debian.org
[mailto:nut-upsdev-bounces+chetanagarwal=eaton.com at lists.alioth.debian.o
rg] On Behalf Of Arnaud Quette
Sent: Monday, October 25, 2010 3:34 PM
To: nut-upsdev
Subject: Re: [Nut-upsdev] [nut-commits] svn commit r2610
-branches/silent_build

2010/10/25 Arjen de Korte <nut+devel at de-korte.org>
Citeren Arnaud Quette <aquette at alioth.debian.org>:

Log:
Optionaly enable silent build rules, using AM_SILENT_RULES, only if it's
supported (requires automake 1.11)

Why do we need a new branch for this? As far as I can see, only the
below lines are really needed

mostly for testing on other systems and non gmake targets, while waiting
for systems that have not entered the buildbot ring.
and there are some more lines underway...
+dnl Currently, we only (force) enable silent rules if available
+dnl Verbose mode can be turned on using "--disable-silent-rules"
+m4_ifdef([AM_SILENT_RULES], [AM_SILENT_RULES([yes])])

Since the above first checks if this is available and then enables it, I
don't see where this might lead to portability concerns. Even it if
does, we already provide an option to disable this. So instead of
creating a new branch, it probably requires just a few lines in the
UPGRADING file (or equivalent) to mention the changed behavior and what
can be done if it breaks compilation.

ATM, this is still theory, and also why I choose this approach. But as
told, I'd like to have some proofs before putting it in the trunk.

this will be part of the remaining things, along with a reference in
configure.txt and some more testing around silencing other things (like
the copy, python / perl calls, asciidoc, ...) using AM_V_GEN.
this shouldn't last more than a week...
cheers,