[Nut-upsdev] RFC: nut and systemd

Michal Hlavinka mhlavink at redhat.com
Thu Apr 21 09:14:16 UTC 2011

> >  That way, slower shell scripts
> >>>

> >> Still the same question, what do you want/need that script for?
> >>

> > Maybe it's just a convenience that we don't really need. Arnaud?
> >

> I can't say it's a convenience, at least not more or less than the files it
> tries to replace.
> whatever the number of init script / service files, we need to instruct the
> system which NUT components it has to start.
> And having a way to do it the same across systems is worth IMHO.
>
> that being said, the shell approach doesn't satisfy me much, but was a good
> compromise for a first round.
> part of the work around the configuration, we might consider a config
> accessor, like:
> $ nut-config --get-mode
>
> @Michal: would that suit systemd way of life?

I probably don't understand what is it supposed to help with? If we use
shell script "one for all" starting everything needed (based on MODE in nut.conf),
it'd be equal to option 3) from first email. Getting required mode from nut-config
compared to getting it from nut.conf is no better from systemd's POV. Option
"3)" is not prefered compared to option 4), but there's no enforcement policy
about this. So, they won't like us, but we can ignore their grumbling :o)
btw, systemd supports:
EnvironmentFile=/some/config/file (containing ABC=foo)
ExecStart=/sbin/daemon -abc $ABC

but it does not support /some/config/file containing ABC=$(get-config --abc)
nor ExecStart=/sbin/daemon -abc $(get-config --abc)

> a side question: what is the status of Augeas (still RH sponsored project)
> in Fedora / RedHat?

It's installable on Fedora and it's still actively developed, but I don't know about
anything using it.