[Nut-upsdev] naming a new Mac OS X UPS driver

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 13:16:18 UTC 2011

I've been working on a meta-driver that tries to address one of the
difficulties of using NUT on a Mac OS X system which has built-in
drivers for several USB-connected UPSes.

On a stock OS X system, after you plug in a system-supported UPS, a
new "UPS" tab shows up in the "Energy Saver" system preferences panel.
Basic status information is presented there, and additional
information is updated in the dynamic system configuration store. I
would like to pass this information along to NUT's upsd so for
monitoring purposes, as well as to enable the controlled shutdown of
nearby systems (e.g. clients of a file server).

An interesting side effect is that the internal battery on a laptop is
monitored in the same way as an UPS. So I am not sure if "nut-macosx-
ups" is the best name for the driver. I think that a meta-driver like
this probably should have "bridge" in the name, since it is
essentially bridging the NUT variable namespace with the system
configuration namespace. On the other hand, the new IPMI driver is
just called "nut-ipmipsu".

Ideas?

--
Charles Lepple