[Nut-upsdev] Time for a distributed VCS? (ChangeLog)

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 02:58:06 UTC 2011

On Nov 30, 2011, at 9:48 PM, Charles Lepple wrote:

> On Nov 30, 2011, at 10:01 AM, Arnaud Quette wrote:
>
>> as told to Charles, I just need to have the ChangeLog generation from
>> logs (last show stopper for release), and I'm fine.
>
> There's a Debian ITP for git2cl:

> On the other hand, it's a 10KB GPLv2 perl script. Can we just include it in the tools directory?
>
> It generates ugly output with the git-svn metadata left in, but that shouldn't be a problem long-term.
>
> There are a few other options out there, too.

Heck, if we edit the commit messages so that the summary line is < 70 characters, something like this would work:

   git --no-pager log --format='%ai %aN %n%n%x09* %s%d%n'

from comments here: http://binarystatic.wordpress.com/2010/02/18/how-to-convert-git-log-to-changelog/

Or if not, there's this: https://github.com/cryos/avogadro/blob/master/scripts/gitlog2changelog.py (also GPLv2)

Wraps lines, strips git-svn metadata, includes email addresses, and is even written in Python.