[Nut-upsdev] Time for a distributed VCS? (ChangeLog)

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 09:09:27 UTC 2011

2011/12/1 Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com>:
> On Nov 30, 2011, at 9:48 PM, Charles Lepple wrote:
>
>> On Nov 30, 2011, at 10:01 AM, Arnaud Quette wrote:
>>
>>> as told to Charles, I just need to have the ChangeLog generation from
>>> logs (last show stopper for release), and I'm fine.
>>
>> There's a Debian ITP for git2cl:

>> On the other hand, it's a 10KB GPLv2 perl script. Can we just include it in the tools directory?
>>
>> It generates ugly output with the git-svn metadata left in, but that shouldn't be a problem long-term.
>>
>> There are a few other options out there, too.
>
> Heck, if we edit the commit messages so that the summary line is < 70 characters, something like this would work:
>
>   git --no-pager log --format='%ai %aN %n%n%x09* %s%d%n'
>
> from comments here: http://binarystatic.wordpress.com/2010/02/18/how-to-convert-git-log-to-changelog/
>
> Or if not, there's this: https://github.com/cryos/avogadro/blob/master/scripts/gitlog2changelog.py (also GPLv2)
>
> Wraps lines, strips git-svn metadata, includes email addresses, and is even written in Python.

I came across the exact same line, which I tested, after having tried
the top-page script (worse).

I have a preference for the python script, which does more (from a
user perspective, not looked at the code).
There are few minor formating issue, like for the latest commit (from
Emilien, on jNut and nut-scanner), which add the 4 spaces... on the
next line!

The other missing bit there is the version limitation, as for the
current Svn mechanism.
Currently, this script output the whole history, ending up with a 400
Kb ChangeLog!

Other than that, I see no problem in shipping it with the sources
(tools/ dir), and the show stopper is fixed.

Finally, I have a branch creation to happen (Powerchain), which I'm
retaining for some time.
What is the best: commit on Svn or wait a bit more for git?

cheers,
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://powerquality.eaton.com