[Nut-upsdev] Time for a distributed VCS? (ChangeLog)

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 13:53:49 UTC 2011

2011/12/1 Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com>:
> On Dec 1, 2011, at 4:09 AM, Arnaud Quette wrote:
>
>> The other missing bit there is the version limitation, as for the
>> current Svn mechanism.
>> Currently, this script output the whole history, ending up with a 400
>> Kb ChangeLog!
>
> In the "git log" command line, append "v2.4.1..HEAD" (sans quotes) to only show history from v2.4.1 onwards. (That's approximately what svn2cl does - although it uses a revision that is a few hundred commits later.)

cool!
I've attached a modified version of the python script
(gitlog2changelog.py) that takes the version window as a parameter,
and otherwise default to 1 year.
easier to integrate in our build process...
Can I let you do the Makefile.am integration?

>> Other than that, I see no problem in shipping it with the sources
>> (tools/ dir), and the show stopper is fixed.
>>
>> Finally, I have a branch creation to happen (Powerchain), which I'm
>> retaining for some time.
>> What is the best: commit on Svn or wait a bit more for git?
>
> As long as you do a simple SVN branch creation, I think we're fine (remote "svn copy"). Depends when you want it to merge, I guess.

considering the modification scope (addition in the network protocol,
and changes to upsd), and the few remaining bits to complete, it will
better stick with 2.8.0 than 2.6.3. But I'll anyway be pushing it to a
Svn branch, so that people (including buildslaves) can start testing,
since the current features set is already stable (need more testing
though!)

cheers,
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://powerquality.eaton.com