[Nut-upsdev] Time for a distributed VCS? (ChangeLog)

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 12:08:30 UTC 2011

On Dec 1, 2011, at 4:09 AM, Arnaud Quette wrote:

> The other missing bit there is the version limitation, as for the
> current Svn mechanism.
> Currently, this script output the whole history, ending up with a 400
> Kb ChangeLog!

In the "git log" command line, append "v2.4.1..HEAD" (sans quotes) to only show history from v2.4.1 onwards. (That's approximately what svn2cl does - although it uses a revision that is a few hundred commits later.)

> Other than that, I see no problem in shipping it with the sources
> (tools/ dir), and the show stopper is fixed.
>
> Finally, I have a branch creation to happen (Powerchain), which I'm
> retaining for some time.
> What is the best: commit on Svn or wait a bit more for git?

As long as you do a simple SVN branch creation, I think we're fine (remote "svn copy"). Depends when you want it to merge, I guess.