[Nut-upsdev] Time for a distributed VCS?

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 12:39:20 UTC 2011

2011/12/2 Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com>:
> On the NUT timescale, half an hour isn't long at all for a code freeze.

seconded, we're not the LK team ;-)

> I haven't played with Alioth's git support so I don't know what their
> equivalent is for "rm -rf repository".

probably the same:
http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/Git

> But I'm partial to Github over
> Alioth anyway - especially now that they have the concept of both user
> repositories and project repositories, and they support
> non-fast-forward updates by default.
>
> Do you have a Github account? Or is there another hosting service that
> you would recommend? (With Git being as flexible as it is, I don't
> have a problem with staging the conversion somewhere else if that
> makes things easier, and pushing the completed tree over.)

I've registered on Gitorious to check a bit. I was first interested in
its freeness, WRT github (I'm always reluctant in development free
software using proprietary ones!).
It seems to offer less services than for example github. It then
depends if we only host the code repository, or want to do more.

A comprehensive comparison matrix, that includes github and gitorious:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open_source_software_hosting_facilities

cheers,