[Nut-upsdev] I've solved the detached-branch problem

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Sat Dec 31 14:20:31 UTC 2011

I've solved the detached-branch problem! It wasn't actually the
branch-rename overwrites that were doing this - turns out I was trying
to remove cvs2svn-generated junk commits too soon and in the process
deleting critical branch links.

I've uploaded a new tarball to

http://www.catb.org/esr/nut-conversion/nut-conversion.tar.gz

with the 2.0-pre3 version of reposurgeon in it.

That leaves two remaining issues.

1. Exactly what *is* the right way to handle branch copies that re-target
an existing branch name?

2. Branch merge detection.

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law
places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the
service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself --
as a criminal.	-- Frederic Bastiat, "The Law"