[Nut-upsdev] Bug/Patch for NUT 2.6.0 ; usbhid-ups (libhid.c)

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Thu Feb 10 19:51:03 UTC 2011

Citeren Richard Gerth <r.gerth.phd op gmail.com>:

> I have a Cyberpower  850AVRLCD ups, and I'm running  NUT 2.6.0 (and
> also tried 2.4.1 and 2.4.3).  I suspect that the problem I was having
> would affect anyone using the usbhid-ups driver, but since I have only
> the one UPS, I don't know for sure.

It doesn't affect anyone. We (the developers) don't run into this
(otherwise we wouldn't release it, would we?).

> In NUT 2.4.1  the driver starts up OK, and  upsc client gives me
> values for 39 variables/parameters.

This would request an estimate for the amount of data, based the
report descriptor. Sadly, this is badly broken for many devices.

> In NUT 2.4.3 and 2.6.0,  level 1 debug from the driver shows lots of
> errors and upsc client gives me only 22 variables/parameters.
> I narrowed the problem down to one function call in libhid.c:
>
> r = comm_driver->get_report(udev, id, buf, sizeof(buf));

This should request the report 'id' from the device connected through
'udev' and store the result in 'buf' and we request 'sizeof(buf)'
octets (bytes).

> Below is the patch that fixes the problem.   With this change, I get
> no errors in the level 1 driver debug output, and upsd and all the
> clients seem to work properly.

What apparently isn't working for you, is that either the libusb
library or the UPS isn't happy if we request (many) more octets than
it has for us. If we ask for 512 octets and it only has 8 for us, it
should return just that. But I suspect it attempts to fill the full
contents of the buffer and fails along the way (the debug output
should tell us precisely).

> Once I found that this fixed my problems, I didn't look into it
> further.   But I expect that whoever is responsible for this part of
> the code will probably know right away if it is a reasonable change or
> if there is a better fix.

What you did, is what we did up to (and including) nut-2.4.1.

> If you need more details on my system/setup, please let me know;  I'll
> be happy to provide more info.

I'd like to know which version of libusb you're using (native
libusb-0.1 or a wrapper around libusb-1.0) and which OS you're using.
Furthermore, some debug output at level 5 (-DDDDD) to show as much
information as possible what happens around the time this triggers an
error. If the syslog shows something, that might help too.

Please keep list traffic on the list (off-list replies will be rejected)