[Nut-upsdev] Getting started generating new MIB-to-NUT mapping for unsupported interface

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 13:29:52 UTC 2011

2011/2/11 Philip Tait <philip at naoj.org>

> I'm following advice from Arjen de Korte and Charles Lepple (see
>
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-upsuser/2010-January/005829.html
> ).
>
> I added a full update on the specifics of my situation:
>
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-upsdev/2011-February/005255.html
>
> Would appreciate guidance on getting started generating a MIB-to-NUT
> mapping (tools, etc):
>
> OS: CentOS 5.5
>
> NUT version 2.6.0
>
> Thanks for any advice or guidance,

Arjen already pointed out drivers/ietf-mib.{c,h}
Other *-mib.ch files from the same directory may help too.

Now, you will also need a numeric walk, since we don't use textual names,
which require to have the .MIB file on the computer (which is a dependency
with no added value).

So, walk again using:
$ snmpwalk -On -c public -v 1 ups3 .1.3.6.1.4.1.476.1.1

2 things are then required:
- knowing OIDs information, ie the meaning and unit, which can be checked
using a MIB GUI
- knowing the NUT data on which this OID maps. Note that some OIDs may not
map on NUT data.
All the existing NUT variables are there:
http://www.networkupstools.org/docs/developer-guide.chunked/apa.html

As an example, here is the mapping for the first OIDs:

LIEBERT-UPS-MIB::lcUpsIdentManufacturer.0 = STRING: "Liebert"        =>
{device,ups}.mfr
LIEBERT-UPS-MIB::lcUpsIdentModel.0 = STRING: "AP341/342"            =>
{device,ups}.model
LIEBERT-UPS-MIB::lcUpsIdentSoftwareVersion.0 = STRING: "2.5.3A"        =>
{device,ups}.mfr
LIEBERT-UPS-MIB::lcUpsIdentSpecific.0 = OID: LIEBERT-UPS-MIB::luSeries300
LIEBERT-UPS-MIB::lcUpsBatTimeRemaining.0 = INTEGER: 65535            =>
battery.runtime
LIEBERT-UPS-MIB::lcUpsBatVoltage.0 = INTEGER: 406                    =>
battery.voltage

cheers,
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://powerquality.eaton.com