[Nut-upsdev] On the ups killpower via ethernet

Turronix turronix at shiftmail.org
Mon Jan 10 16:19:01 UTC 2011

Hello mailing list

I read in the snmp-ups manpage that this driver does not provide a
shutdown function because there will be no network at the point it is
called.

So I studied the Ubuntu initscripts, and in fact the network is killed in
/etc/rc0.d/S35networking
while the driver would be called at
/etc/rc0.d/S90halt
so this is correct...

however!

...disabling the S35networking seems a simple fix to me.

I don't see any obvious problem in having the network interface up while
halt is reached. At most for kexec could be a problem (not tried) but we
can do without that.
What problems do you see in disabling /etc/rc0.d/S35networking  so that
interfaces are not deconfigured?

If you confirm you don't see any problem, then I think I can implement
my own way to kill the power via telnet.
(and also I could suggest you to actually implement the shutdown
procedure in snmp-ups, and just document the fact that users have to
delete /etc/rc0.d/S35networking for it to work)

Thank you