[Nut-upsdev] snmp-ups suicides on UPS unreachable

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Mon Jan 10 21:43:48 UTC 2011

Citeren Turronix <turronix op shiftmail.org>:

> If snmp-ups is started when the UPS is not reachable (e.g. we have a
> slow switch that drops the first 30 seconds of communication at
> computer boot or interface startup) the snmp-ups suicides (or
> crashes?) and apparently there is nothing to re-launch it
> automatically so the connection to the UPS will never be established.

This is by design, so it´s not a bug. The connection to your UPS is
not nearly reliable enough to support reading status updates from it.
You don't want to find this out when there is a real problem, so
snmp-ups fails to start if it can't connect to the UPS after a couple
of tries.

It looks to me that you try to start the NUT service way to early
during startup.

Please keep list traffic on the list (off-list replies will be rejected)